Gelled? Maybe more?

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Well long story short had that nasty cold hit us pretty good up in South Dakota last week and now my truck will not start.
Would start then die and I soon found there is no fuel coming out of my fass 150. It sounds like it is still running fine (obviously slightly off since there is no fuel moving though it). But it has gotten warm the past few days (40-60) and still nothing is running though it. First time I have ever had a no start issue like this so I am lost for words.
Could something be plugging my draw straw that bad? Ice or diesel gelly? Can I put compressed air through the feed line and maybe blow it back?
Any help is appreciated.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Can you push the primer bulb on the fuel filter housing? Crack the bleeder screw on top and see if fuel comes out when while pushing the primer bulb. If you can't push the blub with the screw loose you will have to take the fuel filter off and see if it's gelled. If it is replace the filter. You can also unplug your fass as it will flow through if those filters are gelled. You can get emergency gelling additive to put in your primary filter if the whole system is gelled up and try to start it.

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
No gell in the filters at all.
Sorry did not state but stock filter housing is removed.

Did a little digging and saw a guy do a suction test. Took my feed hose off and put my palm to it and did not feel any suction. Starting to think possibly seals went out somewhere? No fuel coming from weep hole cuz well, no fuel is being pulled... so I have no idea if internal seals are out just maybe from pump to filter block. Not a mechanic so I don't know all the tips and tricks haha.

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
We got all the way down to -20ish. Below 0 for a few days. Again shouldn't it at least pump through the fass with a few days of warm temps? I'm leaning towards the pump and or seals being bad since we are at 40-60 for a few days and everything is melting.

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Nope. With the filter off fuel isn't even coming through. The feed line is literally dry....Put my hand to the inlet right under the pump where the filter screws on and there was zero suction. Took off the pump and did the same and there was a little suction. Not much but I have no idea how much there should be I guess.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Just because the temperature is up does not mean the fuel has reached the non cloud point. You may need to wait a bit longer for the tank to warm up. Remember the more volume of fuel in the tank, the longer it will take to warm up.

You can try pushing a few PSI of air through the filler neck and see if you can get fuel out of the pump with the filters off, this will help you determine if it's gelled in the tank (gelling occurs easier at suction and vacuum choke points).

c5fourj

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Update.
Called fass on my thoughts and they shot it down pretty hard saying those orings basically never fail, but I stumbled upon this video which was the source of my suspicion.
Source: https://youtu.be/bIlS5T9kcfc

And I can say it was the prime issue. Ran to Napa and got new ones and it primed itself within .5 seconds. Thanks for all of the input everyone.