EFILive code $0101: No data received

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
Good evening! I just got my Flashscan v3 in the mail. I installed the newest software and checked the version of the V3 and it's all up to date. When I try to read my LLY ECM I get this message:

Executing: C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8\Config\E60_R.obj
Virtual Machine Started
Script Loaded
Script Verified
VIN: 1GCHK29285E181856
Serial: M0430405MYY1
Executing: Boot Loader...
Unlocking: Trying MFG Key...
Reading...
Please: Wait...
Script exited with code $0101: No data received

I am running Windows 10.

Any ideas on why it doesn't want to read the ECM? It will briefly interact with the truck, flash the dash for about 20 seconds and then quit.

Edit: only thing that crosses my mind is I previously had a Bullydog GT installed on the truck which has been uninstalled for a while now.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
When you removed the bully dog, did you revert the truck back to stock or just unplug it?

Did you pull any fuses?

Do you have things like a remote start/security system installed or anything tapped into the purple data wire under the dash?

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
Yes, truck is stock with download removed. I pulled and replaced the usual fuses, which I forget some of them… Radio, IGN1, IGN BAT, +1 more…?

I’ll check that purple wire, but really all I have is a super basic Sony radio. I tried with the radio head unit disconnected and it still failed. For some reason I think I remember not having access to OBD when I bought the truck cause the lighter fuse was blown too? That was a long time ago but I remember the OBD port being funky

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Bully Dog programmers had a reputation of doing this very thing to ECMs back then.
Definitely double check lighter fuse, as that supplies power to the obd port.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
You very well may have to flash a bone stock file in with the additional boxes checked, you also could try using a bench harness to take the truck out of the equation.

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
Bully Dog programmers had a reputation of doing this very thing to ECMs back then.
Definitely double check lighter fuse, as that supplies power to the obd port.

You very well may have to flash a bone stock file in with the additional boxes checked, you also could try using a bench harness to take the truck out of the equation.
Yeah I was afraid that might be a factor, because the Bullydog fully recognizes the ECM when using it as a gauge (no download). Do you know where I can get a stock flash?

I have:
2004.5 YE5 (Cali)
WT model/Base
ECSB
Auto 5 speed
4x4
AC
Cruise Control

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yeah I was afraid that might be a factor, because the Bullydog fully recognizes the ECM when using it as a gauge (no download). Do you know where I can get a stock flash?

I have:
2004.5 YE5 (Cali)
WT model/Base
ECSB
Auto 5 speed
4x4
AC
Cruise Control
You'd need to determine what calibration you need based on VIN. PM me your VIN and email, I likely have a stock file and can send it to you later this evening.

Reactions: gmc502

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
Well I have seen to figure out the issue. It seems like I cannot use pass through but the Flashscan can connect to my truck via BBX. Also, it seems the Flashscan does not like the Sony radio in my truck.

Also, is normal for the truck ECU to not start after reading the ECM? I read my ECM, made a couple edits to the calibration and then reflashed the calibration and all is good. However before I flashed the truck did not have PRND or ODO and wouldn’t start.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well I have seen to figure out the issue. It seems like I cannot use pass through but the Flashscan can connect to my truck via BBX. Also, it seems the Flashscan does not like the Sony radio in my truck.
This isn't uncommon. We usually unplug them and pull fuses for aftermarket radios. That seems to work pretty consistently.

Also, is normal for the truck ECU to not start after reading the ECM? I read my ECM, made a couple edits to the calibration and then reflashed the calibration and all is good. However before I flashed the truck did not have PRND or ODO and wouldn’t start.
That is not normal in my experience.

Last edited:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Well strangely enough I updated my V8 and read out my E60. Tried to start the truck and to my surprise no start, tried to cal/full flash and got $0101. Luckily I was able to unhook the battery and hook it back up and it works now. I’ve flashed this thing a hundred times and a couple times with HPT never had an issue, kind of concerning this happens after I update. Could just be bad luck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Bdsankey

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
LLY's are tricky. Mine flashes no problem through the OBD connection. My friend has 2 LLY trucks and we ran into issues trying to flash 1 of his trucks. I spoke with EFI about it and it seems to be a noise issue on the bus. I sent them all the failed flash logs to go over. For all intensive purposes they are both basically stock and similarly equipped. No after market alarms, radios or other accessories.

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
LLY's are tricky. Mine flashes no problem through the OBD connection. My friend has 2 LLY trucks and we ran into issues trying to flash 1 of his trucks. I spoke with EFI about it and it seems to be a noise issue on the bus. I sent them all the failed flash logs to go over. For all intensive purposes they are both basically stock and similarly equipped. No after market alarms, radios or other accessories.
Very interesting. I was able to get it to flash, it seems that BBX seems to be ideal for my truck. Thank you all for your help.