Driveline vibration while taking off.

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
So we did our first trip in 3 years, and I noticed that when pulling from a stop till the 2nd gear shift, there seems to be a shaking or vibration from the driveline. I never noticed it before this trip. I haven't done much to the truck besides a set of Fleece trans cooler lines (temps never hit 200) and urethane body mouth to replace the sagging factory cab mounts (did the GMT 900 rears). The trailer is a 2007 DRV Mobile Suites 32TK3 5th wheel that weighs in loaded for our trips at 16,000. I have AirRide Ultimate 5000 bags and a 20K Curt 5th wheel hitch. Where might this vibration be coming from? I try to get the sag out of the rear with the bags. Could it be pinion angle? it only happens from a stop, If I accelerate up a grade during shifts there is no vibration.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
any axle wrap bars? you are probably feeling axle wrap at this point. its actaully fairly common

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
No traction devices at all. Just bags and stock 2 piece driveshaft. So I shouldn't be concerned?
How would traction bars or CalTracs affect ride on bumpy fire roads in the mountain areas we drive to to hike?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No traction devices at all. Just bags and stock 2 piece driveshaft. So I shouldn't be concerned?
How would traction bars or CalTracs affect ride on bumpy fire roads in the mountain areas we drive to to hike?

it wont hurt to verify your carrier bearing is in good shape. Considering you have air bags already, you shouldnt see much difference in ride with axle wrap bars>

that said, try playing with the bag pressure before you go spending money. see if more or less air gets it to stop. i will say that my old 02 did this since day one and my dad always said "eh, it must just be the converter" and drove it. it wasnt till i put bars on at 145k that i finally realized what the issue was when towing. IIRC, when i got enough weight to load the overloads up, the truck wouldnt axle wrap near as bad but its been a long time.

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
I use the bags to get off the overloads and level the truck a bit. I'll try less air and touch the overloads and see if that works.

Thanks!!!

This place rocks!