DPR/XDP High Volume Oil Pump

Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
Looking for anyone running this pump or has in the past.

Installed it about 2,000km ago on a new build. Did some research on it, plumbed in an additional external relief as I read some had issues with high pressure on cold starts. Went with this high volume pump over stock/Melling because of larger bearing clearance, additional oil-air cooler, LML piston cooling nozzles and Amsoil by-pass filter system. Figured it would work good with all the additions.

As of recent, oil pressure at idle drops to 9-10PSI at 190 degrees and sees maximum 40psi. Blocked off relief in front cover, external relief, capped off Amsoil by-pass and oil-air cooler. Still cant get it any higher than 10PSI at idle and 40PSI above 2000RPM. I even dropped the oil and tried some Amsoil 20w-50. Sent an SOS oil sample away and came back with high amounts of aluminum which the oil pump cover is made of. I think it is safe to assume the gears or shaft have worn into the soft aluminum housing.

New oil pump will be getting installed soon, but wanted to hear feedback from others. Anyone have any long term experience with this pump? Super choked I have to replace this unit with such little time on it.

Thanks

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well it sounds like you've figured out your problem. Just about the only source of aluminum in these trucks is the oil pump.

What pump are you putting back in? After talking to SoCal it seems like the Melling pumps are hit or miss on their machining quality. The GM 06-10 pumps are pricey compared to 11-16 pumps.

Last edited:

Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
Odds are I will probably go OEM. Melling pumps do not flow anymore than stock.

Does anyone know if Curtis’s (DPR/XDP) high volume pump differs at all from SoCal? Or are they basically a copy of one another?