DirecLink Brake Controller

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Has anyone used the DirecLink brake controller? They seem to be the best you can get now that the Maxbrake style (tap into the hydraulic system) controllers are out of the market.

I've had a Tekonsha P3 and it worked decently well but I ended up having button failures repeatedly on the braking power selection arrows.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have no experience with that one, but I prefer the Prodigy P2 over the P3.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Having used both, I prefer the P3 over the P2. I feel they both use the same code/accelerometer internally, but I find the P3 has a more intuitive interface. I've had a P2 fail (stopped running the brakes and would run the truck's batteries dead overnight), but it was a decade old, so I don't hold that against it.

I do miss the old brake controllers that tapped into the hydraulics. I get that there is a risk of creating a problem with the hydraulic brakes if something goes wrong, but I still have one on my 1982 Chevy that works perfect, so it isn't a guaranteed problem waiting to happen or anything. The hydraulic sense ones always respond the most naturally to me, since they know how hard you're trying to brake regardless of trailer weight.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Having used both, I prefer the P3 over the P2. I feel they both use the same code/accelerometer internally, but I find the P3 has a more intuitive interface. I've had a P2 fail (stopped running the brakes and would run the truck's batteries dead overnight), but it was a decade old, so I don't hold that against it.

I do miss the old brake controllers that tapped into the hydraulics. I get that there is a risk of creating a problem with the hydraulic brakes if something goes wrong, but I still have one on my 1982 Chevy that works perfect, so it isn't a guaranteed problem waiting to happen or anything. The hydraulic sense ones always respond the most naturally to me, since they know how hard you're trying to brake regardless of trailer weight.

I completely agree with them (hydraulic interface controllers) working smoother/more naturally. It just stinks all of those companies went out of business.

The thing that draws me to DirecLink is the fact I don't have to give up knee/leg space for a controller. I don't know how many times I've smashed my shin into my controller in my LLY. I haven't done much towing with my LB7 yet but it'll get put to use hard this summer.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Care to elaborate as to why?
Because I experienced the same problems you did with the P3 with buttons sticking. I've never had a problem with any of the P2 controllers. The only thing I noticed about the P3 was a fancier display. They were functionally the same.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Because I experienced the same problems you did with the P3 with buttons sticking. I've never had a problem with any of the P2 controllers. The only thing I noticed about the P3 was a fancier display. They were functionally the same.

Good to know, thanks!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My P3 is about 5yrs old and still working great.

Good to know! I had a parasitic drain on my 2002 LB7 that I couldn't figure out until I looked at the brake controller. It was lit up 24/7 even when the key was off and the brake pedal hadn't been touched in hours. It was some old draw-tite POS that was in it when I bought it.