Dexcool sludge or bad oil cooler?

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Continuing to get this in the bottom of the reservoir. I'm going to run straight water on this one and see if there is some oil suspended when I drain it.

Attachments

• IMAG1426.jpg
    IMAG1426.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 80

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I will be pressure testing the oil cooler this weekend. Is it possible for head gaskets to cause this without a pressure issue? I'm really thinking either the oil cooler or cup o ring. The oil cooler is all shiny , I doubt it's original. Maybe I'll be lucky and its taking a lot of time to get the sludge out.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Still got sludge build up in the system. Going with some more cascade. May order the gm heavy duty cleaner. The oil cooler looks so new that I think it was a combo of that and green mixed with red.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Still dealing with this issue. Lost count of how many times I've filled up with water and cascade and driven the truck for several days, probably at leatst about 12 times or so. The first picture is after the bucket Sat overnight, the second is after I stirred it up a bit. I'm wondering if something is getting oil in the system but I still have no pressure issues and it still has a greenish tint like that crap that was in the system from the bad mixture. Could it actually take this long to get the system clean?

Attachments

• IMAG1778.jpg
    IMAG1778.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG1779.jpg
    IMAG1779.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 57

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I honestly would be sick to my stomach after that many flushes. I feel your pain man. I wonder...would some of that purple power clean stuff be ok to run in the system or would it kill the hoses and seals

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I honestly would be sick to my stomach after that many flushes. I feel your pain man. I wonder...would some of that purple power clean stuff be ok to run in the system or would it kill the hoses and seals

I would be feeling Mich worse about it if I didn't have the lly engine sitting in the garage for the swap. I would still like to get this squared away and pull my camper through the summer while I take my time prepping the lly. I think I am going to order some of that high speed gm cleaner and see what happens with it. After about five flushes I was going to install a new reservoir and put the thermostats back in. I noticed a bunch of crap cakes inside of the bigger hose that leads to the reservoir and had a change of heart and kept flushing.

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
I know thus thread is from two years ago but did you ever get it all cleaned out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk