Custom S480 Hybrid

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
We built 3 or 4 of these chargers last year for drag and sled pulling trucks and I figured I'd give them a little bit of exposure.

The standard 3.0" S400 uses a 3.0 83mm inducer turbine wheel. It is offered in the AirWerks lineup from Borg Warner in multiple housing sizes.

These turbo's work pretty well in stock trim, but we have upped the ante.

The next turbine size up is the 87mm inducer but it isn't available in the airwerks lineup.. yet.

We are custom machining the 87mm turbine in the 83mm housing of your choice.

This turbo using an 80mm compressor should support a high 800hp motor if not a low 900 on fuel alone.

Spoolup is as good as an 83mm turbine 3.0" S400 . The Dmax test truck had a 1.10 A/R and could have spooled the 1.25 A/R easily enough (drag racer).

If anybody is looking for the next step up in BW chargers, this guy is the ticket.

Attachments

• BW S480_87_1.25AR.jpg
    BW S480_87_1.25AR.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 52

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
I might add that the housings are precision turned on a CNC lathe. Which doesn't sound like something new, but if you look at the competition's turbine housings you can tell they are just cutting a taper in the housing.

What's the problem with that?

Borg Warner turbines have an Ellipsoidal profile on the exducer. If you don't match the ellipse in the turbine housing, then you don't have the proper clearances or for lack of better terms "seal" and you're wasting turbine drive energy and losing HP.

The turbine exducer is also matched to the downpipe diameter for a truly custom charger.

360 Degree thrust bearings are standard on our S400 turbo's as well, as well as a Race Cover. Coatings are optional.

Thanks,

Brayden

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
S480 Hybrid

This turbo rock's! It really does spool pretty easy for a big charger! I have no problem getting this charger to lite. For a big single it will make big power and still be a driver. Jeff

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I run a 87mm turbine with a 74mm compressor and have thought real hard about putting a 80mm wheel in it but was afraid I wouldnt stay on top of it. I am glad to see this is working out for jeff. Have yall tried this setup on any pullers?