Changing Clutch need help please.

Fhelm55

HighHoMesa
May 22, 2012
From West By God Virginia.
Ok, me and my dad are gonna change my clutch in my 04 LLY. Just me and my dad. We have a lot of technical experience, but jave never fooled with a ZF6 Tranny before. Therefore, we would greatly appreciate some instructions, heads-up tips, and more and please be extremely specific, pics would help a lot too. Thanks guys!

Sud

May 15, 2012
Lawrenceburg, KY
It's not too tricky, just don't get in a rush. I just did this a little over a week ago... this is from memory but i think it will get most of it covered.

-Need to get the truck jacked up a good bit... i have my tires on 8" of solid concrete blocks. chock the tires, make sure that puppy aint gonna roll nowhere.

-remove front and rear driveshafts. I had to engage 4wd to break the u-joint strap bolts loose on the front shaft.

-Drain the fluid from the transfer case.

-unplug all electrical connections from transfer case and tranny.

-brackets on the drivers side of the tranny have to come off.

-Clutch hydraulic hose has a "quick disconnect" up in the engine compartment, below the clutch master cylinder. to be honest i can't remember but i think there was a spring that holds this together... cause i remember i dropped it. (thank god i found it though) so be careful. remove that spring, then carefully seperate the hose. little stubborn, i had to work at it a little. but it will come. the hose stays with the transmission.

-break bolts loose on transfer case, but don't take them all the way out yet.

-jack up the transmission just enough to take weight off the tranny crossmember.

-then remove the tranny crossmember from the truck. (don't know if you absolutely have to but it's not hard to do and makes getting the transfer case out much easier.)

-remove the bolts holding transfer case to tranny (think there was 6 of them?)
shouldn't be hard to seperate transfer case/tranny.

-turn or twist transfer case however necessary to slide out between torsion bar and tranny. not too difficult.

-now the hard part - this transmission weighs ~250 lbs. with fluid in it. need to be extremely careful to not let this fall on you.

-before unbolting bellhousing bolts, get in the cab, remove the shifter handle and boot, then take those 4 allen head bolts out of top of tranny and remove that gear selector mechanism. (i tried to remove tranny without doing this, will not work.)

-now just get all the bellhousing bolts out... some are a little tricky but you can get to them all from underneath. may need several long extensions. make sure you get them all out. if you need, i can count bolts and find socket sizes needed this afternoon after i get off work.

-we used two hydraulic jacks and blocks... but i had like 4 people there with hands on the tranny to help get it back enough for the input shaft to clear, then steady it on the way down. ideally, strap the tranny somehow to be safe and control it from falling. (I'd still suggest having an extra buddy or two around for this part). easy does it. once jacks are all the way down, we eased tranny off the jacks onto a piece of cardboard on the ground.

-the ZF-6 is a tall tranny - remember i said to jack up truck a good ways? - this is why... has to be pretty high to get tranny out from under the frame. the 8" i had left just a little clearance from top of tranny to frame, with tranny on a piece of cardboard on the ground (no longer on jacks.)

-with that out of the way, all you have left is the clutch and lastly the flywheel. i had an aftermarket clutch in mine already. i'd suggest having a clutch alignment tool before removing the clutch but don't reckon its necessary if you're getting a new clutch.

-i had to remove 6 bolts to remove for the clutch, took it all out together, carefully. make sure you got a hold of everything when you get those bolts out.

-lastly, the flywheel - 14 MM allen head bolts. (that's a big allen head, just got lucky that i actaully had that size in the toolbox already.) the suckers are tight too.

-we put one of the clutch bolts back in the flywheel, and used a ratchet strap around the frame (drivers side) and that bolt to hold the crank, to keep it from spinning while loosening flywheel bolts. (once all are loosened, remove clutch bolt/ratchet strap) had to put a cheater bar on the allen wrench.

-be careful and make sure flywheel doesn't fall out on you once last bolt is removed... was not the case on mine though... may not be on any duramax. better safe than sorry though.

-we had to carefully pry/seperate flywheel from crank. kind of like a pressed on design... i couldn't budge it by hand. be careful also not to break the aluminum rear-engine cover... just watch where you pry at and if you see the aluminum flexing, don't pry too much there. what we did was used some sort of pry/wedge and tapped it in (with hammer) between the flywheel and the rear engine cover CAREFULLY. seperate just a little, then i'd spin the flywheel/crank. 1/8-1/4 turn, then do it again. we kept going around til the flywheel came off.

-hold on tight when it comes - it's heavy.

and you're done.

phew... sorry so long. :eek:

1953drtelco

Feb 24, 2010
Riverside, CA
Sud: Now that's a nice writeup. I don't even have a stick in my truck, but read the entire post.....brought back memories when I had to replace numerous clutches in my street racing days of the 70's

Sud

May 15, 2012
Lawrenceburg, KY
Sud: Now that's a nice writeup. I don't even have a stick in my truck, but read the entire post.....brought back memories when I had to replace numerous clutches in my street racing days of the 70's

Thanks. didn't aim to get that long-winded, but kept remembering little things as I was typing. trying to save someone else from making the same mistakes or going at it blind like I did. lol. and man I sure wish i coulda lived back then... my main hobby is old muscle cars. both my Dad and I have 72 lemans', mine a little more "souped up". but, both are autos. i'm always goin to local cruise ins and some of the bigger car shows. I'm a Pontiac guy at heart. but love my duramax too. :thumb:

buy a good cluth the first time and do it once. junk that dmf for sure

X2!!!! I have a Kenny's clutch, and it has held fine for me. Mainly just went with him cause he was local... I would like to see how a southbend would feel in comparison - this ceramic dual disk i have is jumpy. whatever you do, spend the money once and get a good one, as was said above.

Fhelm55

HighHoMesa
May 22, 2012
Wow, I am thoroughly impressed with the responses that you all have provided, almost brings a tear to my eye, lol. Alright, I will update this as much as possible, not sure when me and Pops will get to it but hopefully very soon. Please feel free to keep posting any hints, or pointers any one else has, because I am hoping not to go past two days doing this taking it easy (union breaks lol). Moving forward, I have no problem spending the money for a damn good clutch, however, I know they're some people who have over clutched their trucks. And to me thats like over greasing a bearing, don't want to do it. I wonder if Valair would be too much, I know that a good clutch from them would run about $850.00, but I take care of my baby too, so what are you all's recommendations as far as which one to get?

P.S. Damn good write-up Sud, your post was a perfect example of why I joined the furom!

Sud

May 15, 2012
Lawrenceburg, KY
Mitch, I may have to take you up on that! I appreciate it!

One thing I forgot to mention - I loosened the starter and pulled it back out of the way of the flywheel before removing the tranny. again, not sure if it's necessary but did it just in case. just removed 2 bolts and slid it towards front of truck (out of the "hole" it sits in), left wires attached.

Sud

May 15, 2012
Lawrenceburg, KY
didn't take pictures during removal... but here's a few, after I had everything apart.

*pay attention the bellhousing bolt locations... this will make it easier for you, as you'll know where they are and how many. (I missed 2 bolts when i first started trying to remove the transmission... easier to get it out with ALL the bellhousing bolts removed.:thumb:)

Front of the ZF-6.
zf6front.jpg

Rear of the ZF-6
zf6rear.jpg

Rear of the duramax engine with tranny/clutch/flywheel removed
backofduramax.jpg

same as above, just wider camera shot
backofduramax2.jpg

:D
trannyremovalonblocks.jpg

Fhelm55

HighHoMesa
May 22, 2012
Sweet man thanks for the pics! I have decided to purchase, from thoroughbred diesel, a valair ceramic/kevlar single disc due to the fact that I haul cattle every now and again, any opinions on this are welcome, I havent purchased it yet, here is your chance to possibly steer me down a different road...

Sud

May 15, 2012
Lawrenceburg, KY
I don't have any experience with Valair, but I'm sure it will do fine for what you're needing. Maybe others will chime in... sounds like a good one to me though.

GunmetalGTA

Jan 12, 2014
Bumping an old thread, but this is the best google result for pulling a zf6 and it helped me out a ton! I figured I'd try and pay it forward by posting this pic, which I know would have helped me out a little bit.

Here is the balance point of the ZF-6:
20140112_170611_zpsdfe16c4f.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic, but you can see the center of my jack is about 2" forward of those two "pins" and threaded holes on the bottom of the trans. I nailed a short chunk of 2x4 to a 10" chunk of 2x6 to make a nice lifting point for my floor jack, and it was steady as a rock (but it does weigh a ton and I wasn't taking any chances, hence the ratchet straps).

Last edited:

Bhella

Feb 20, 2014
Please help! I just bought a 2005 zf6 with 90k on it. The previous owner put a performance clutch in from drivetrain.com it makes a nasty noise when I shut it off. I'm pretty sure it still has the DMF in it. I plan in getting a SMF. Basically what I'm asking is will any SMF bolt up to any clutch?

kbowser

Sep 10, 2017
Old Thread Same Issues

I am a new owner of an old truck. '04 2500HD w/ZF6. I don't know the history of the truck other than it runs great at 225,000 miles and no rust. Only problem is its missing a tooth or two on the flywheel. Since I have no idea what clutch is in it, I'm just going to replace everything. And now the question... Valair or South Bend. This is a daily driver, no mods, maybe pull an 7500# trailer in the future. What is the community consensus on either of these? Thanks in advance for any input.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I am a new owner of an old truck. '04 2500HD w/ZF6. I don't know the history of the truck other than it runs great at 225,000 miles and no rust. Only problem is its missing a tooth or two on the flywheel. Since I have no idea what clutch is in it, I'm just going to replace everything. And now the question... Valair or South Bend. This is a daily driver, no mods, maybe pull an 7500# trailer in the future. What is the community consensus on either of these? Thanks in advance for any input.

Imo you will be fine with either brand, I would recommend a dual disc. If you do any towing at all. And I would get one that is rebuildable. Not all flywheel have replaceable inlays riveted to the flywheel. Call both companies and get prices and talk to them. Sometimes it comes down to after purchase service so read some reviews.