Can I Block (Put a Solenoid) in the line that goes to the heater core?

AntiBNI

Feb 6, 2023
I did an EGR delete in my LBZ, normally the EGR cooling line then goes to the Heater core and eventually suck back into the engine.
Here is my question:
I want to install an electric solenoid to only allow coolant flow to the heater core on demand.
If I do this, The outlet (suction) line that comes from the Main coolant line will have a bit of a vacuum which is no issue, the real question is, Will I get a lot pressure in the coolant line that feeds the heater Core/EGR cooler if I plug it with the solenoid in the closed state?
can this pressure be too much that will damage a gasket or something?

P.S I am doing an engine swap in a Humvee so everything is already custom.

Thanks guys!!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I did an EGR delete in my LBZ, normally the EGR cooling line then goes to the Heater core and eventually suck back into the engine.
Here is my question:
I want to install an electric solenoid to only allow coolant flow to the heater core on demand.
If I do this, The outlet (suction) line that comes from the Main coolant line will have a bit of a vacuum which is no issue, the real question is, Will I get a lot pressure in the coolant line that feeds the heater Core/EGR cooler if I plug it with the solenoid in the closed state?
can this pressure be too much that will damage a gasket or something?

P.S I am doing an engine swap in a Humvee so everything is already custom.

Thanks guys!!
There are tons of valves on the market to do that already today. There are some that are vacuum operated, 12V, or even cable operated. You would need a valve that allows direct flow across when "engaged" and in the "bypass" mode it would move the coolant in a "U".

Here's some quick links. Disclaimer - I have no experience with this products, I just want to show that the options are out there.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

AntiBNI

Feb 6, 2023
Thanks Bdsankey, Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I was looking into https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJHW83...B5TBCM03&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
which is a solenoid actuated 3 way.

What I am wondering is if I do a 1 way solenoid that blocks the flow when off, if that will cause pressure in the line and damage anything.
since I am not too fond of having a bypass and recirculating hot coolant back into the engine, diminishing cooling performance.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks Bdsankey, Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I was looking into https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJHW83...B5TBCM03&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
which is a solenoid actuated 4 way.

What I am wondering is if I do a 1 way solenoid that blocks the flow when off, if that will cause pressure in the line and damage anything.
since I am not too fund of having a bypass and recirculating hoot coolant back into the engine, diminishing cooling potential.
I don't think it will hurt anything to block it since many individuals do delete the heater core lines on racing vehicles. With that said, if you're already going to add something inline to block it I would do it with a bypass instead of blocking it off to keep the integrity of that circuit and minimize pressure buildup in that line.

Reactions: AntiBNI

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Maybe I’m remembering wrong but I think having the lines helps with the water pump bypass while the thermostat is shut. I could be wrong, hard to remember when I was trying to re-do my radiator setup to a dual pass and changed up where my heater core returned water

AntiBNI

Feb 6, 2023
Got it, Looks like there is solid reasons why to re-circulate the lines.

Thanks to everyone!!!!!