Building Truck for 650hp

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The guys running stock turbo/injector trucks hot are still running those 3200/30 tunes and they seem to hold up fine. I agree less fuel and more air is far better but it's still done every day! That same tune with just a drop in turbo will usually top 600 easily though so it's far from efficient and kinda spicy lol.
they are also the same guys that dont keep the truck that long or dont beat on the truck. A LB7 or LLY will outlast a LBZ+ on that kind of tune just due to piston strength but if you want a "reliable" 550-600hp from a stock engine, that is not going to ge tyou there and you will find yourself on the side of the road.

the guys that still have stock motors are beat on them like a red headed step child are not running a tune anywhere near the 3200/32 tunes of old. its all about cylinder pressure and excessive heat.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The guys running stock turbo/injector trucks hot are still running those 3200/30 tunes and they seem to hold up fine. I agree less fuel and more air is far better but it's still done every day! That same tune with just a drop in turbo will usually top 600 easily though so it's far from efficient and kinda spicy lol.

Reliable and 550hp+ on stock injectors/CP3 don't go hand in hand in my opinion. Sure, we can jack pressure through the roof and gain some flow but that injector is TERRIBLE for efficiency at that point. This is one of the things the industry has learned as stock motors have gotten pushed further and further. These trucks running 3200us area files DO NOT hold up for long if beat/used hard 24/7 with that large of a file, they will all die (especially 06-10 trucks with the extremely fragile pistons)

they are also the same guys that dont keep the truck that long or dont beat on the truck. A LB7 or LLY will outlast a LBZ+ on that kind of tune just due to piston strength but if you want a "reliable" 550-600hp from a stock engine, that is not going to ge tyou there and you will find yourself on the side of the road.

the guys that still have stock motors are beat on them like a red headed step child are not running a tune anywhere near the 3200/32 tunes of old. its all about cylinder pressure and excessive heat.

Couldn't have been said better.

Reactions: 2004LB7

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I agree it's not the most reliable. Mine made it from 125,000 to 250,000. And I beat the crap out of it, so I was happy with that.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You make a lot of assumptions.

Somewhat accurate.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You make a lot of assumptions.

Somewhat accurate.
hang on hang on

"if you want a "reliable" 550-600hp from a stock engine, that is not going to ge tyou there UNLESS you happen to have a truck built at the time time BBT was built. in which case, i retract my statements" 😁🍻

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I am thinking putting a built tranny in my truck right now with a good converter and then just doing turbo piping and stuff like that and then a little bit hotter of a tune and just call it good. Because the deeper I get into "building" it the more parts I will have to end up replacing to support that power. That is what the race cars are for.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am thinking putting a built tranny in my truck right now with a good converter and then just doing turbo piping and stuff like that and then a little bit hotter of a tune and just call it good. Because the deeper I get into "building" it the more parts I will have to end up replacing to support that power. That is what the race cars are for.
Piping won’t offer you any major gains IMO. A turbo mouthpiece upgrade on 01-05 trucks is really all that’s helpful to me unless someone wants it to look pretty.

A built trans/lift pump/max effort DAP5/stock fuel/stock air truck is hard to beat.

Reactions: MaxComp88B

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
What is most power I can make on a hot tune with only a turbo and built trans? Like a 64mm turbo.
My tow tune is 500hp with a Fleece 63mm Street turbo, MikeL built trans, Airdog II 165 lift pump with a shimmed FPRV.
The DSP5 tunes, from 1-5 are: 400hp, 450hp, 500hp, 537hp & 563hp

Reactions: MaxComp88B

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Piping won’t offer you any major gains IMO. A turbo mouthpiece upgrade on 01-05 trucks is really all that’s helpful to me unless someone wants it to look pretty.

A built trans/lift pump/max effort DAP5/stock fuel/stock air truck is hard to beat.
I agree Brad, Ive been around the guys that drop in turbos and then "O I have 600 horsepower", when in all reality a built trans/lift pump truck would walk them every time in a real race because they dont even have appropriate supporting mods (BIGTIME pet peeve of mine). A true 500+ hp truck is no joke on the street especially with how fast those stock turbos spools. They will suprise you, it's enough you will have major traction issues in 2wd.

I would wait to do piping when and/or if I ever upgraded turbos.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
For complete transparency... I've been running my Fleece & DSP5 tunes since March 2019 and it was dyno'd at ATP the weekend Rob was shutting down. My 2007 LBZ has 98k miles on it and I am replacing the injectors with new Bosch stocks next month. I never run the 537hp or 563hp tunes and the 500hp is getting a tad smokey during spool-up when you get on it hard. The balance rates are all in the "normal" range but when my mechanic, Pat @ Big Twin Diesel, tested the fuel system at 26k psi, two injector return rates were at 8+.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
Well I have seem to decide how I want to build my truck. Stock Turbo and Fuel but built trans with a converter built for street driving and just a dsp5 switch. It ends up way cheaper for me and then I can buy a lift pump and put the money into a good trans.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What would be the best converter to buy for daily driving with the mods I listed I will do?
georend G or R will be fine. R will set you up for a bigger turbocharger down the road but wont give up hardly anything as your truck is now

Reactions: dndj

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Well I have seem to decide how I want to build my truck. Stock Turbo and Fuel but built trans with a converter built for street driving and just a dsp5 switch. It ends up way cheaper for me and then I can buy a lift pump and put the money into a good trans.
if you are thinking of keeping the stock turbo and fuel then I'd skip the DSP5 and go with a good single tune with all the limiters for things like ECT still intact. better for the transmission. and since you are going to be limited to around 550 hp it will still be very streetable without having to turn it down. infact there are a number of decent tunes in our library that should work for you if you get a V2 or V3.

then later if you want more then you can purchase the needed tunes for your upgrades

stock turbo/fuel with a built trans and a good tune is a very fun combo to drive. and probably the highest fun to dollar ratio. hard to beat the quick spool of a stock turbo

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
MikeL spec'd the "R" converter for my setup and is great for towing our 11k# TT...

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
You will be very happy I think. Just know a piston will let go eventually if your hard on it all the time so plan for that. But chances are in your favor you wont have any issues for a good while. I just didnt worry about it with my lbz and had fun. It lasted several years and 100,000+ miles and I was HARD on it, I had a turbo but that was it. Yours may not last that long but its likely to last you awhile. Heck for that matter the crank could go first.. not likely but possible, so just go for it and good luck lol

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Goerend G, X, R, DK, DL all work great for a stock turbo. Personally, I would recommend the R/DK/DL for that application as it has just about zero compromises. Goerend has been an absolutely amazing vendor to work with as an auto repair shop/trans builder.

Another great option is a SunCoast 1078 (we don't sell them but have a decent amount of seat time with one).

Reactions: BoiseRob