Body control module issues?

DoubleE

Jul 25, 2023
Jamestown NY
07 classic 250k miles
I'll start my truck and all is fine then the security light comes on and AC stops working. Fuel gage, volt meter, oil pressure gages all drop out. Sometimes the windows stop working and so do the auto locks. Still drives fine for the most part. Once in a while I'll loose power and have black smoke from the exhaust. When I shut the truck off for awhile and restart it everything is fine, sometimes for weeks, sometimes just a few minutes before the cycle starts again. I think it's a BCM? Anyone else have similar issues?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
With it affecting the cluster, AC, smoke, etc that doesn't sound like a BCM to me. I bet you have a bad ground somewhere. Or perhaps a shorting wire. Maybe under the fuse box

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Agreed, that sounds like a power or ground issue. Check for corrosion or damaged wires under the fuse block in the engine compartment. Look at the condition of the ground near the driver's side body mount under the door on the frame.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
A buddy had similar issue after a storm. I forget which connector but one of the connectors had corrosion in it from water leaking into the cab.

It was causing the power to stay on to the radio and drain the battery. But also he would get a security light on the truck when he turned it over. We know the cluster has a cold solder issue as the Mileage LCD and some other functions will some times shut off randomly prior to this but not the security light.

I believe he also lost the door lock and window function with the corrosion issue.