Question: Bleeding out the hydrobooster/PS system

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
My 2002 has a whining PS pump, it was a little low and I got some replacement fluid that was GM compatible but now it is whining.......:(

I never had a days worth of trouble with the PS pump before I topped it off, now I want to get all new fluid in it with possibly some seal conditioner.

Anyone have any advice, I was thinking I could remove the low psi return and the cap on the pump, start it up, fill the pump while the fluid purges out the low pressure return.

Safe or unsafe ????

Anyone have any advice.

:confused:

Arcing

<--Moms Josephs Coat Rose
works Fine...

I clamped the low pressure return hose (photo #1), then took off that hose (catching a drip with my shop rag) and placed a 3/8 in clear hose on the power brake/fluid return nipple which was then exposed. I ran the clear hose down to my oil catch basin. (photo #2)

After starting up the engine, I had a helper press on the brake pedal and the old fluid flowed. I kept pouring in new synthetic fluid into the power steering unit until the fluid coming out the clear hose changed to the synthetic color, it's just under 2 quarts, I also had my helper turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to clear those lines out.

Mine hasn't groaned or whined since. I'd consider doing it once a year, it's so easy and just costs the 2 quarts of synthetic fluid.

Attachments

• pwrsteeringflush10.jpg
    pwrsteeringflush10.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 24
  • pwrsteeringflush11.jpg
    pwrsteeringflush11.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1847.JPG
    DSCN1847.JPG
    570.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator: