Any Skid steer guys in here? CAT 246.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
would it be worth delipping those pistons before installing them? I have no clue if they suffer from the same issues as our duramaxs do

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Just an update. The machine has been in the dirt under its own power for few days now. It runs well, there are a few issues I'll still need to address, all in due time.
I just did the first oil change, no surprises there. I'll cut the oil filter open, look for anything out of the ordinary.

Concerns are;
1. Motor never comes up to temp. Even under a heavy load water temp has yet to go over 125F. Still cool here during the day, probably later in the summer we'll see the water temp cycle up a bit more, when the ambient is higher.
2. EGTs have yet to even register on the gage. I think it rests at 660F. Engine paint has yet to even burn off of the exhaust manifold.

Issues that still need to be addressed:
1. Add new hour meter with built in tach. Book says peak engine output is at 2,600 rpms. I need to set the throttle stop below that.
2. Pins and bushings in the quick attach plate need to be replaced. She's "squeaky" when cycling the bucket. There's a fair bit of slop as well.
3. Machine does not sit level. The front of the VTS track system has a torsion tube suspension, not sure if that's collapsed or just way out of adjustment.
4. Lift arm cylinders are weeping just enough oil to need to be repacked.
5. Oh, and the operator (me) leaves a lot to be desired, but I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

Other than those items, it's been earning its keep.
1616411572588.png

Short video of my wife moving topsoil.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIQIIhDKQcA

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Are you set on running the VTS track system? Believe they unbolt and you can bolt tires back on

Yes, for now anyway.

My property is has a lot of clay, it doesn't take much rain to make it a greasy mess, pretty quickly. I believe tracks would handle the mud better than wheels / tires. I drove the skid through a low / wet area where my backhoe usually sinks and it was a non event. With the hoe, I'd be using the bucket to pull myself forward a couple inches at a time, until it get to firmer ground.

I've been keeping an eye out, if I see a set of wheels and tire that won't break the bank, I plan to grab them just to have that option. As of now the VTS is all I have.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Wow, I stumbled on this googling my problem. I'm going through the same thing, bought a 226 with no oil pressure.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk