Another P20EE Question

Hazman

Jun 11, 2023
Tacoma, WA
I've searched the threads and other forums but haven't seen an answer to this question. For those that have had the P20EE code that have not been able to get resolved (swapped sensors, repaired DEF injectors, software upgrades), have you been able to simply clear the code whenever it appears without consequences? Are you able to clear the code and not have it go into limp mode?
Background - 2017 Silverado WT with around 96 K. Started having the code pop up 18 months ago. I've been to the dealer at least 5 times with 2 NOX 2 sensor replacements, 3 software upgrades, and intake manifold cleaning (TMAP Sensor cleaning). It seems they get around $700 out of me each time, but the code re-appears within a couple thousand miles, sometimes just a couple hundred. If they are unable to find something definitive to repair, that there's nothing specifically wrong, is it OK to simply clear the code whenever it appears? We're due to hit the road with the trailer for a few thousand miles this summer and I'm hoping to not get stranded along the way.
Thanks for your input.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That code isn’t the funnest. It’s like a p0420 code on a gasser.

Is the truck mainly used highway, mainly around town or a good mix of both? Egr ever been serviced? Any other codes at all and I mean anything?

Hazman

Jun 11, 2023
Tacoma, WA
The truck is used mainly around town - short trips with a periodic longer trip of 150 - 200 miles. The rest of the time it's towing a trailer several hundred miles. I've had a few glow plug codes, which have been replaced, and around 5 unrelated codes (mostly low-voltage - traction control, radio, etc) last year that all cleared after I replaced the batteries. It does have a Banks Ram Air intake where I've seen a few suggestions that it might be related.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well short distance driving is terrible on these things. Fricken rediculous considering what we pay for a truck but here we are.

Give us every code it has as of now.

we really need to see logs of what the two nox sensors are doing to get an idea of where to start

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Isn't there a recall related to that code for the L5P?

Doubt it but there is a tsb and ecm update. I think it was specifically 2 OS’s ago that addressed it. It fixed the 17 we had in the shop with this issue

Hazman

Jun 11, 2023
Tacoma, WA
The only code showing right now is the P20EE, nothing else since the dealership cleared it after the MAP/intake manifold cleaning about 600 miles ago. EGR (other than the cleaning) has never been serviced.