Anodizing at home

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I know this thread can be applied elsewhere but because I did this to a firearm receiver I am putting it here

I recently tried my hand at type three anodizing. froze a five gallon bucket of ice with a small office trash can in it for the acid to stay cold. you don't want the acid to go above 40° or the oxide cell size growth goes up to where it starts turning into type two. I wanted type three so I needed to keep it cold

I didn't get any before photos of the raw handguard as I wasn't really thinking of documenting it but after seeing some of the results part way through I started taking photos. from my research, 6160 aluminum is supposed to turn gray to dark gray depending on how tall you grow the oxide cells or in other words how long you leave it in. the handguard and receivers where all supposed to be 6160 so I thought making then dark gray would look good

set up my station, a bit of a mess and cobbled together loosely but something that would work.

after running the handguard for about two hours I noticed it was turning goldish color. research indicates that 7075 will do that while 6160 turn gray. hmmm. did the upper and lower LR308 receivers and they turned gold too. the photos of the finished parts look a little more gold then they actually are. probably something with the lighting and camera but they still look pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised, especially if they are all 7075 when I thought I was buying 6160 items

the raw receivers before cleaning them in lye and putting them in the acid bath
IMG_20220920_234659-01.jpeg

this is my acid bath. with the parts soaking up the current
iMarkup_20221214_130355.jpg

finished receiver and handguard. as I said above. it's not quite that intense with the gold but came out nice. probably should have left the handguard in a little longer to make it match the receiver better
IMG_20221203_190939.jpg

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Looks good. I actually like the hand guard better, unless your looking for that "bling" look from the receiver.
Shall we start calling you Gold finger or just Bond, James Bond.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'll see if I can get some better lighting that represents it's actual color more realistically. outside daylight will probably do. the handguard has a more faded gold gray look while the receivers have a more solid color. reminds me a little of titanium nitride gold look but not as intense

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
ok, so I'm trying to take the picture again that shows the color better. but either my eyes are deceiving me or it actually is slowly changing color and getting more muted. I think, since I didn't seal the anodizing, that it is slowly self sealing as anodizing will do on it's own. and / or the oil is causing it, as it does look like the oil on the surface is causing a mottled look. or maybe I should just call it camouflaged 😅. I don't mind. none of my firearms are show pieces or beauty queens.

I think this photo may be slightly better. might try again under sunlight and see what I get
IMG_20221216_235845~01-01.jpeg

Reactions: Dozerboy

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I swear the gold fades more and more every day. got to be the anodizing is self sealing the pores.

outside in the sun picture. see if any of you can spot what's missing from the rifle that is needed to operate properly.
IMG_20221217_142531~01-01.jpeg

Reactions: gmduramax

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Are the gas block and gas tube missing. Hard to tell with the hand guard.
winner. now you can have a cookie

I'm actually waiting on a "lost" package that has my parts. this would be the 2nd time in a row that the gas tube would go missing. maybe a 3rd time will make it through. wonder if it has anything to do with the recent police changes that the big three shippers seem to have adopted for firearms

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
That top un anodized pic looks like an 80% part with the safety selector hole missing, FCG pin holes missing, and it appears the trigger slot is also missing. What make are those parts?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
That top un anodized pic looks like an 80% part with the safety selector hole missing, FCG pin holes missing, and it appears the trigger slot is also missing. What make are those parts?
Ok, you got me. Send in the ATF 🤣

It is an 80 percenter from these guys: