2018 L5P Engine Miss

ToshService

Mar 20, 2024
Sayre,ok
Ive got 90000miles have never had any trouble. I pulled up to a stop sign and boom engine missing. Didnt think I was going to be able to pull away. Got it home and connected my Snap On scanner. P026D,P11D3,P1478,P2635,P2A00,P0300.
I checked the Miss Fire data, 2-4-6-8 I went in and killed each injector 1 at a time. #2 bad no difference. Wouldnt I get a cyl. misfire fault code? I unplugged the inj to look at the connectors. I do have that fine dust on the end of 2-4-6 #8 was clean.
What am I missing? When I pulled the boost tube off the intake. The inside of the intake looks new. I was surprised expecting it to be all sooted and need a cleaning.
Please help
Thank You

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think these trucks have similar connection issues like the LLY did. So you might need new connectors

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Starting out the way it did just rolling to a stop, I'm leaning towards a single connection issue. Unlock and reconnect the main bail connectors. and ECM side too. Not positive on the L5P injectors wiring, but dropping one cylinder wouldn't cause it to run that rough that quickly.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
wouldnt it give a injector circuit fault for the cylinder giving trouble ? or would it not.
Thanks aagan
Not necessarily. Code P2635 and P0300 both are likely related to the symptoms you experienced

The other codes are DPF and related sensors. You might want to check if you have a service bulletin or extend warranty related to this

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ive got 90000miles have never had any trouble. I pulled up to a stop sign and boom engine missing. Didnt think I was going to be able to pull away. Got it home and connected my Snap On scanner. P026D,P11D3,P1478,P2635,P2A00,P0300.
I checked the Miss Fire data, 2-4-6-8 I went in and killed each injector 1 at a time. #2 bad no difference. Wouldnt I get a cyl. misfire fault code? I unplugged the inj to look at the connectors. I do have that fine dust on the end of 2-4-6 #8 was clean.
What am I missing? When I pulled the boost tube off the intake. The inside of the intake looks new. I was surprised expecting it to be all sooted and need a cleaning.
Please help
Thank You

Considering the nox codes, miss fire and aftertreatment codes, we may need to start fresh. It’s possible you have stored codes that are from something previous. Might be best to clear codes and see what comes back. You also may need a computer update. I know they had a few updates to help with a couple of those codes.

Have you been driving the truck with the check engine light on prior to the miss?

The fact you do not have a circuit code does not make me think it’s a connector immediately. Injectors can go on these too and the hp4 can go out.

I’d clear codes, make sure miss is still there, see what immediately comes back and note. Then swap cyl 2 injector with cyl 4 and see if the miss goes to 4 or stays on 2. If it stays, got an electrical issue or lack of compression issue. If it moves, you got an injector issue. Dont worry about copper washers for a quick fire up but once you figure it out, replace both coppers.

I’d be very curious what codes come back and what you find from here. Every truck we have done pigtails on has had codes for electrical circuit. If you do want to change the pigtail, get one from fish tuning. They are high grade and I’ve yet to have a truck come back after using them

Reactions: 2004LB7

68ss

Dec 30, 2019
My bosses 2019 just had this issue. Running great then boom hard miss. Shop trouble shot and said bad injector. Truck has 120k on it. I said I don’t think so sounds electrical. Replaced number 5 injector plug all good.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
If the electrical architecture is similar to the LLY's, when one injector experiences an issue, the controller shuts down the entire set connected to that controller. More than likely as mentioned one of the injector connectors is the issue.

I did not Ice Pick mine on the LLY, but instead used the pick inserting from the bottom and tightened the connections. Some of the issues with the LLY were the pigtails were too short. I recently heard there is that issue with the L5P also that some of the connectors are just a little short resulting in connectivity issues. If you do change the pigtails add length to the pig tail to reduce the stress on the connection.