2007 GMC Sierra LBZ questions

Eddie_Rooskie

Sep 2, 2019
I posted a little while ago that I was in the market for an LBZ truck and the deal I was set on actually fell through. As luck would have it something even better fell into my lap so I can't complain. With that, I just picked up a 2007 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab which is pretty much exactly what I was looking for... and for a great price too in today's market (i think).

65,xxx on the truck when I got it and pretty much bone stock except for an MBRP exhaust and a K&N air filter. Also has side steps, a bed rug, and a solid truck bed cover.

One of the questions I had was that some of the roof liner is already coming apart and I'm sure its not difficult or expensive to replace but is that normal for a truck with this many miles? Would be the first time I've seen it like this under these conditions.

Secondly, as far as general preventative maintenance goes what should be first on my list to take care of and make sure everything is kosher?

A few pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/2Ufhjwi?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
As far as the headliner goes, miles wouldn’t be as much of a factor as age. Mine has help up well, but my buddy’s 06 has not.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I would say it’s pretty normal. My interior looks like new in my 06, but my headliner is starting to come loose above the visors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My headliner in my 2003 is starting to come loose on the driver's side at the visor as well. I keep toying with just using spray adhesive to stick it back on there. Has anyone had any success gluing the fabric back on to the insulation/foam?

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Spray adhesive works but not for long. After the third time of spraying mine it started to turn the material a diff color. I ended up biting the bullet and had it redone.

Bobcat

Dec 5, 2008
I have been quoted $175.00 to have my headliner redone in black by a mobile vendor. Original liner is tan which I never liked.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
have it redone in a grey or black suede/alcantara. will really make it seem nicer.

had this done on my last gmt0800 along with the door panel inserts and seats . Really added a nice touch with the all carbon dipped pieces and upgraded steering wheel.

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
FYI the OEM headliner material is Shale with 1/8 foam padding.
Bumping an old thread but does anyone have any recommendations for quality headliner material? Mine has come loose of the foam and I've re glued it carefully twice but the foam backing is disintegrating so it won't stick anymore... I found some with 1/4" foam backing, not sure how you are supposed to compensate for the thicker material.

Any other creative options with different materials people have came up with eliminating the foam and fabric altogether? I'm assuming the stock headliner board is plastic like some of the aftermarket ones I've seen?

My interior is charcoal with a tan headliner for some reason which I've been wanting to change anyways..

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Local fabric store usually carries Automotive headliner. The material is already bonded to the foam. You can not salvage it once the foam disintegrates.

The stuff I used I think was 3/16 thick. The panels just push into it a little bit.

It's the Glue that matters. The Junk here in CA sucks. I spoke with a shop here and they get Glue from outside of the state.

Next time I will just take it there. He Quoted me $300 last time for a crew cab.

The headliner board is kind of like a pressed Fiber material with not much resin. You can damage it so be carefull.

Reactions: wydopenLb7

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Local fabric store usually carries Automotive headliner. The material is already bonded to the foam. You can not salvage it once the foam disintegrates.

The stuff I used I think was 3/16 thick. The panels just push into it a little bit.

It's the Glue that matters. The Junk here in CA sucks. I spoke with a shop here and they get Glue from outside of the state.

Next time I will just take it there. He Quoted me $300 last time for a crew cab.

The headliner board is kind of like a pressed Fiber material with not much resin. You can damage it so be carefull.
Thank you. We do commercial cabinets where we lay up laminate panels and we also use contact cement from out of state, the water based stuff doesn't hold up.

Ill see what I can find locally. I was thinking some vinyl pleather might be cool. I redid the upholstery in our 5th wheel with some stuff I got off ebay and it came out pretty good. Would just have to find some suitable foam to put behind it also...

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The sell headliner kits on Ebay but I am not sure about the glue that comes with it. The stuff I bought here didn't hold up in some spots but it was also a spray can so maybe it didn't dispense enough glue...

Reactions: wydopenLb7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Bumping an old thread but does anyone have any recommendations for quality headliner material? Mine has come loose of the foam and I've re glued it carefully twice but the foam backing is disintegrating so it won't stick anymore... I found some with 1/4" foam backing, not sure how you are supposed to compensate for the thicker material.

Any other creative options with different materials people have came up with eliminating the foam and fabric altogether? I'm assuming the stock headliner board is plastic like some of the aftermarket ones I've seen?

My interior is charcoal with a tan headliner for some reason which I've been wanting to change anyways..
I've heard of people taking the headliner board out, removing the fabric and foam then rolling or spraying a rubber coating on it.

If I end up having to redo my headliner this is the route I'm taking

Reactions: wydopenLb7 and 68ss

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
I've heard of people taking the headliner board out, removing the fabric and foam then rolling or spraying a rubber coating on it.

Awesome I’ll check it out. Will last forever.

Reactions: 2004LB7

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California

Think I'm going to try the Plasti dip method. Looks like he just removed the the fabric but left the foam and then coated that?

Only thing that will be tricky is the visors and in mine I have an overhead console from a suburban with all my switches and the edge is wrapped in headliner fabric. Will have to paint match the handles and visor extension and hardware also..

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Think I'm going to try the Plasti dip method. Looks like he just removed the the fabric but left the foam and then coated that?

Only thing that will be tricky is the visors and in mine I have an overhead console from a suburban with all my switches and the edge is wrapped in headliner fabric. Will have to paint match the handles and visor extension and hardware also..
I'd remove the foam. It rots and falls apart, turns to dust sometimes. Don't want to have your hard work fail again in a few years because you left the old foam.