#2 cylinder fuel injector blow-by

sparkygmc7890

Nov 10, 2022
Hey I have an issue that is driving me crazy. Cylinder #2 fuel injector is having a blow by event. This is the 3rd time I have had this happen. I clean out the hole ,super clean, install a new fuel injector, then torque everything to spec. Can anyone help we with this?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Some things that happen are that the injector hold down wears or bends slightly, the factory hold down bolts can stretch pretty easily, the threads in the head can wear, and the sealing surface of the head can wear.

Reactions: sparkygmc7890

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You need to look and make sure the head isn't damaged where the copper seals. If that looks good, make sure the injector bore is clear of any debris and clean out the hold down bolt hole really good with some brake parts cleaner and an air blower to make sure there isn't anything in the hole stopping the bolt from torquing down properly. Once that is all done, reinstall the injector with a new copper washer, new bolt, and new hold down. I like to use a light coating of ARP lube on the threads of the bolt and under the head then torque to spec.

sparkygmc7890

Nov 10, 2022
You need to look and make sure the head isn't damaged where the copper seals. If that looks good, make sure the injector bore is clear of any debris and clean out the hold down bolt hole really good with some brake parts cleaner and an air blower to make sure there isn't anything in the hole stopping the bolt from torquing down properly. Once that is all done, reinstall the injector with a new copper washer, new bolt, and new hold down. I like to use a light coating of ARP lube on the threads of the bolt and under the head then torque to spec.
Everything looks good after I clean it, the holes is clear and no debris. I haven't ever tried cleaning out the bolt hole, but I will this time. Thanks for the ARP lube tip.