02 LB7 with zf6 can LBZ heads be done?

Tneil1987

Oct 26, 2022
So I have an 02 LB7 with a zf6, I acquired a LBZ that the block is done, but everything else is perfect, I have the complete wrecked LBZ truck, my question is can I simply bolt on everything from heads up to the LB7 block and use all the wiring from the LBZ. Keep in mind I have already done a full LBZ swap with an Allison 6 spd into a 2002 body so I know how and what to change to do that, I am simply wondering if what I would have to change on the LB7 block to make the swap work?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I am simply wondering if what I would have to change on the LB7 block to make the swap work?
water pumps are a bit different and you may or may not have the hole for one of the waterpump bolts if you use the lbz pump on it, beyond swapping the cam reluctor wheel and putting in the LBZ cam/crank sensor, its pretty much bolt on and go from block up. you MUST use the LB7 balancer and flexplate as well.

you will need to plug the or just not use the LB7 oil pressure sensor/port and pull the 3rd plug out of the oil main galley on the driver side to put the LBZ oil pressure sensor in so it all works correctly.

Tneil1987

Oct 26, 2022
Awesome so basically my biggest concern, is the water pump, which if I have to I will either use the LB7 pump or figure out how to custom mount the LBZ pump.

And reluctor wheel I've seen people cut the one tooth off of the LBZ to make it work and vise versa, heard of I guess not actually seen

Tneil1987

Oct 26, 2022
Thank you both for your insight, work is busy right now but I plan on doing this by Christmas, I will post updates, or if I decide against it I will post that as well

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Awesome so basically my biggest concern, is the water pump, which if I have to I will either use the LB7 pump or figure out how to custom mount the LBZ pump.

And reluctor wheel I've seen people cut the one tooth off of the LBZ to make it work and vise versa, heard of I guess not actually seen
just keep it simple and run the LB7 pump if you have no issues with it. if you planned to turn high rpm and chop the throttle alot, a coolant bypass kit would be a good idea to keep the pump alive.