Your Favorite Tools

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Post em up!

What's your favorite brand/model of ratchets? sockets? drivers (nut and screw)? pliers? etc.

I used to love using my ol' man's 3/8 snap-on ratchet. It had a molded handle and just fit right and worked beautifully. I'll see if I can get on their site and find out which one it is.

Best set of pliers I ever used were a set of S&K maybe? Or maybe they were bluepoint? They just felt smooth, sturdy and the "teeth" gripped well. Handles felt right.

For automotive work, the best screwdrivers I liked were a set craftsman with the clear handles. They just seemed tough, even the small sized ones. I've got a cheap set from Lowe's (not Kobalt) that I'm not real fond of. Another set of fine screwdrivers was a set of interchangable tip from Brownells (part of my dad's gunsmithing tools). Really nice quality and nearly every size of driver you could need. Nice stuff. I hear the Klein (I think it is) makes nice screw and nut drivers. I've just got a set of relatively cheap nut drivers from Sears that are NOT craftsmen. They are alright.

Not sure on favoite wrenches or sockets. I like to be able to CLEARLY and EASILY read what size they are. I haven't had any durability issues with any I've used. I did use a set of old craftsmen wrenches that were uncomfortable for me because the shafts were thin and kinda dug into your hand on tight nuts/bolts. I have a small set of ratcheting wrenches. They are the cheaper set from Sears that aren't craftsmen. I like them real well so far.

I don't have a very good collection of tools so I like to buy things from time to time and since none of them are cheap, I like to get at least decent stuff if I'm going to spend the money. Share your hobbiest and prof. opinions please. I'll reference back to this come time to buy something knew or add to the collection.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
EFI Live, Gear Wrench X Beam Flex, Napa Professional Tools Impact Sockets, IR 1/2 inch Air Gun are favorites. My Great Neck 3/8's socket set that I won at a raffle is by far the most frequently used set in the shop.

The Alkota Hot water pressure washer is awesome to use before working on that dirty stuff. It worn out 2 50' sections of hose, it has only been apart once for a cleaning of the pressure switch because of our hard water/rust. Bought new in 1995. :)

But, I love all of my dad's snap-on tools though.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Makita LXT 18V 1/2 impact
Torpedo heater for this past winter
Craftsman 3/8 long handle polished ratchet
Any of my Snap On tools

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My electric ratchet for sure

I guessed this before I even opened this thread!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I personally love my Snap-on wobble head extensions and crows feet wrenches. Saved my ass many a time. The offset wrenches I have are sometimes handier than pockets in your underwear as well!

I FN hate my Snap-on auto centerpoint tool. Worked twice and then quit. On my third one in 6 years and hardly used any of them!!

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have a Mastercraft :D socket and ratchet set that I got for free from work and that is used most often. But my favorite is my Dad's Snap On stuff. Right now I am wanting some Snap On ratchets 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and some different length 3/8 and 1/2 breaker bars. I am just starting out so the pickins are pretty slim in my tool box. :)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I guessed this before I even opened this thread!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I personally love my Snap-on wobble head extensions and crows feet wrenches. Saved my ass many a time. The offset wrenches I have are sometimes handier than pockets in your underwear as well!

I FN hate my Snap-on auto centerpoint tool. Worked twice and then quit. On my third one in 6 years and hardly used any of them!!

Snap-on's precision tools are made by General or Central last I remember. Which is puzzling. Snap-on hand tools are arguably the world's best, but General or Central is the Harbor Freight of machinist tools. Nobody uses them who's livihood is dependent on their tools.

But sadly good machinists tools are slowly growing more scarce due to the Chinese price pressure. Hard to sell a $200 dial indicator that wholesales at $150 when there are $20 ones floating around that wholesale at $10. It's a margin thingy.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
My Dewalt 12" chop saw and my Dad's ancient Craftman 10" table saw and my Estwing framing hammer.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I know my craftsman ratchets are junk now. The originals were good enough but the replacements they give you aren't much better tha what you turn in. I like my ACE Hardware hand tools for work but am thinking I'll but snap-on ratchets next time round

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
the ratcheting wrenches I have are gear wrench and I DO love them.

A couple things I REALLY want are a nice MIG welder and a nice toolbox. Dream box isn't a $5000-10000 box from snap-on, mac or cornwell or the likes but rather the one Pat has (stainless Kobalt box from lowes with radio and frig in it). I'd take a smaller one without those two things though cause I can do a radio easy enough and already have a full size frig for the garage/shop. :thumb: But that one is just pure badass to me!

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
I am not a fan of snap on, busted a ratchet once while replacing shovels on a field cultavator, run a shovel point in my back. Craftsman tools seem to fit good in my hands, Klein does make nice screw drivers, I have wired shops for 10-12 hours at a time and they were still comfortable in my hands. For cordless I go with Ridgid, a little heavier but never had any problems with them. I try to keep several sets of tools, for diffrent farms, and diffrent tractors, my best buys are at auctions, nothing like buying a box of tools for 5-10 bucks

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
i have a 1" IR impact gun....i just slap on a couple of adapters to get it down to 1/2" so icould use it to take my lug nuts off.thats about the only thing i use that frankenstein for....for fun of course since there is nothin practical about it.i have a couple tool boxes full of craftstman tools,they havent let me down.i have this 3 ton michellin floorjack that i bought at sams club for 100 bucks and has proven to be worth every penny....5 years an counting

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
95% or better of my stuff is Snap-On, price is usually the only crappy part. But as an automotive tech, gotta have good tools. I use my 3/8 flex head ratchet like nobodys business! Just the standard toothed, normal handle, sealed head ratchet, goin on 6yrs use, same original parts inside! I do occationally tear my tools down, clean and relube them, once a yr or so. I use alot of them everyday, hard to pick the best out.

One of my faves is my Snappy cordless power driver, Very tough, used the daylights out of it! Like my Snappy air hammer too. Its power is undefeated! Like my large picks.

Harbor freight loop-end needle nose plier set, cheap and very handy on hoses.

So many tools!:D