wrong dam radio, story of my life

blowinsmoke

obsessed not addicted
Nov 24, 2009
Ok so my wife buys me a double din radio for my '02 and now i find out it is only a din and a half stock from factory? Will a double din radio not fit in an 02? God Im so pissed now lol. Any help ar comments is appreciated

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I thought about this myself. However, starting in 03, GM (re)moved the Cigarette lighter and 12V plugs that are under the AC controls in the 01 - 02's, moved the AC controls down and increased the radio opening from a din and a half to a double din. Seems to me you've got three options:
Option 1 - Swap out your current IP for a later one to get the double din opening
Option 2 - Go to the trouble to move the AC controls down and increase the radio opening on your current IP
Option 3 - Exchange the double din for a single din and get a kit for it to work in the din and a half opening.

If it were me, I would just go with option 3.

Zeake

Dec 2, 2009
Some people on performancetrucks.net have made good writeups on this topic.

Glover

Sep 20, 2009
I installed a single DIN Alpine CDA-9886 in the DIN-and-a-half hole ('02 Silverado 3500). Ordered it from Crutchfield. Super easy to install and the kit came with all of the mounting hardware/adapters/wires. Swapped in a new set of high quality 6 inch speakers and it sounds great. Subs are next. I would not go double DIN unless you are after something really specific...its just to much work...besides, I like having all of the power outlets for GPS, cell phones, what have you. There are plenty of high quality single DIN's out there and mine looks just fine installed in my dashboard.