Would You Rather.....

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
ok so I'm narrowing my choices down in trucks... I have a total of 25k to spend on a truck

I've found a 2006 LBZ with 170k miles on it. Diablo tuner, exhaust, leather seats (but will need to be redone) for 19,5

I also found an LLY with 216k miles on it, but MINT, driven by an 80 year old back and forth to south dakota, no tuner, no nothing. Asking 15k

In saying that, which one would you choose?? I could spend the extra money o the LLY getting headgaskets, cooling, built trans, etc.. or get the LBZ and do some upgrades, but not as stout as the LLY??

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
LLY. Cheaper and in better condition according to your descriptions. You can gain back the 6spd by doing a conversion kit from say Duramax Tuner or Suncoast when you build the trans if you do a lot of unloaded freeway driving. Towing you will almost never use 6th gear as tow/haul turns it off.

Both trucks could use a built trans in their future as the factory trim leaves alot to be desired in terms of shift quality IMO (6spd is better at taking abuse stock than a 5spd).

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
LLY. Cheaper and in better condition according to your descriptions. You can gain back the 6spd by doing a conversion kit from say Duramax Tuner or Suncoast when you build the trans if you do a lot of unloaded freeway driving. Towing you will almost never use 6th gear as tow/haul turns it off.

Both trucks could use a built trans in their future as the factory trim leaves alot to be desired in terms of shift quality IMO (6spd is better at taking abuse stock than a 5spd).

If I decide to get the trans built, can they just ut a new 6 speed trans in, or do they build the 5 speed with the conversion kit??

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
awesome thanks everyone. I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow. I've got a CTS2 so I'll check the injector balance rates too

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
LLY. Just run it till the gaskets start leaking.

The 6spd might not even hold more power in the lbz, being that it's already tuned

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
ok so a couple of questions.... if it hasn't blown by now, would I be good to go, or will it just happen, especially if I throw more power at it? Also, would it be better to get some head studs for preventative maintenance?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Head studs won't help the factory gaskets, it's a flaw in the design. It's a gamble on whether they'll hold or not on the LLY. I'm at a tick under 230k miles, 500+HP on stock gaskets and bolts

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ok so a couple of questions.... if it hasn't blown by now, would I be good to go, or will it just happen, especially if I throw more power at it? Also, would it be better to get some head studs for preventative maintenance?

There is no answer for that.

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
alright, well, I'll be picking it up on Monday!!:thumb: CAn't wait to get this thing rollin!!! I've got about 10k to put in her

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
My 05 lly is on stock HG and has 279k miles. I am the 3rd owner, the 1st just used it to tow and the last did have a hypertech on it for a few thousand miles.. Ive had it tuned with efi for 3 years now and its still going strong. I don't abuse the thing at all though.