Winter-1 Batteries-0

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
These cold temps finally took their toll on my factory batteries. I had my truck parked at a buddy's farm for about 8hrs today, I didn't have it plugged in, went to start it and it groned turning over until it lost all juice. All the lights in the dash went very dim, service brakes message came across the dic. radio acted weird. Put a charger on it for about 30 min or so and it fired right up.

I was thinking of buying the same ACDelcos from GM. Just curious what everyone else uses or recommends and why? Also is there an upgraded battery (i.e. cold cranking amps) or something I should look for?

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
dont get OPTIMAS!!!!! the cold killed my first set of year-old red-tops a month ago, now is killing my new replacement red and yellow tops. when the batteries are warm, they are nice, but the gell in them freezes really quick and takes out your alternator too :rolleyes:.
I'm not the only one here with this problem, Leadfoot just told me yesturday that he goes through 2 a year normally.

JakeGMCHD

May 17, 2008
I wouldn't recommend Optima batteries. They didn't last and were replaced by Sears with their Die Hard Platinum series. Which are made by Odyssey.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Thanks for the input guys!

Steve, I do remember the issue Chad had now that you mention it. Thanks for the link, I'll read the thread again. I will ask GM how they will stand behind them if I buy the ACDelcos.

Judski and Jake, I appreciate the heads up on the Optimas, they are off the list.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Update -

Just went out to check the batteries with a multi-tester. One was 12.5, the other 12.2. I have the truck plugged in and it started just fine. :confused:
I am going to let it unplugged and try to start it cold later.
But with the batteries holding a charge, I am starting to doubt the batteries are bad. Anything else I should check?

Last edited:

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Note: While a multimeter will tell you the voltage of your batteries, you should really get them check for current or under a load to really see if they are bad. (have them checked at advance, autozone, oreilly, etc.) Also check all battery post connection, as a loose one or two will make it seem like the batteries are not holding a charge. (don't ask me how I figured this one out!) :D Good luck and BTW I replace my factory ones with Interstate, but i live in the south so the cold doesn't really effect them here.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Thanks for the tip Krazykid.

I will have to have them tested I guess.

Could a bad connection at the starter do something like this? Also could ice manage to do something to cause this situation? I did hose my truck off earlier in the day but drove it for about 30 min afterwards.

Last edited:

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Thanks for the tip Krazykid.

I will have to have them tested I guess.

Could a bad connection at the starter do something like this? Also could ice manage to do something to cause this situation? I did hose my truck off earlier in the day but drove it for about 30 min afterwards.

Not sure, about the ice. bad connection at the starter might casue the problem. I know that I found both ground terminals at the batteries on my truck loose and after I tightend them up the batteries went back to holding a charge. Wish i could help you more.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Not sure, about the ice. bad connection at the starter might casue the problem. I know that I found both ground terminals at the batteries on my truck loose and after I tightend them up the batteries went back to holding a charge. Wish i could help you more.

Thanks for the help.

I did check them earlier, they seemed tight. On second thought, the starter is what drawed the batteries down so I guess there shouldn't be a bad connection there. I'm not that good with electronics.

Durasizzle

Oct 3, 2008
Stony Plain. Alberta
my optima's have been in my truck for quite a while at leat 2-3 years, ive had the truck for over a year and they came with them. and they've seen temps in the -40C mark and still going. ive tried to cold start it when it was -35C didnt work so well and needed a boost but it didnt kill them.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
18 mos out of my AC Delcos. Heat killed them. Gets a little warm here and they finally exploded. AC DELCO customer service is shit too. They wouldnt even prorate two 18 month old batteries....:mad:

Put red tops in.... work great.

Last edited:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Thanks for the link LBZ......I guess I should have searched it.

I went today and bought two new ACDelcos. I read the horror stories on here, but I figured I got 6yrs out of the stock batteries why switch. Also I have some complex about keeping my truck all GM.
They are 800 cca, and claim a 50 mo replacement warranty and prorate after that until 7 yrs.

Catpower

Feb 12, 2009
Fort St John BC
Winter-1 Batteries-0

If you have a multi-meter it can check differences of potential ( DC voltage)If you think that a connection might be bad? Put one lead on the post the other on the terminal this will check the difference (if any) betweeen the two. I use Vaseline on most of my connections. And Copper Cote on all ground connections. If one is in the cold climates use a bettery warmer they are only about 60 Watts or so.