Why do my tires keep going out of balance?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Most tire manufacturers recommend rotate and balance 3-5000 miles 5000+ is pushing the limit. Did it on my work truck for 20 years and 300,000 miles and my D-max every 3-5000.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I rotate every 6k, just never had a set of tires that needs constant rebalancing. I think I'll try the balancing beads next time. If I do that, should I pop the existing wheel weights off?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I've read a little bit about the Dynabeads before...do they actually work?

In the 170K on my Dmax I've never had to rebalanced the tires with them. I also get better mileage out of my tires then most and I drive spiritedly. Its handy when you bury your tuck in mud and have it packed in the wheels. Which will normally throw your tires way out of balance.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I had my tire guy ride in my truck once, he warned me that with the amount of torque the truck was making that it would be possible for the tire bead to slip on the rim and cause the balancing of the tire/rim to go out. Then he proceeded to go into a big long story about a customers truck he had the issue with.

In the end, he figured it out by making an oil crayon mark on the tire and rim and checking it the next time the guy said the tire was out of balance again, sure enough there was a seperation between the mark on the tire from the mark on the rim

Maybe that's what you are experiencing

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I had my tire guy ride in my truck once, he warned me that with the amount of torque the truck was making that it would be possible for the tire bead to slip on the rim and cause the balancing of the tire/rim to go out. Then he proceeded to go into a big long story about a customers truck he had the issue with.

In the end, he figured it out by making an oil crayon mark on the tire and rim and checking it the next time the guy said the tire was out of balance again, sure enough there was a seperation between the mark on the tire from the mark on the rim

Maybe that's what you are experiencing

Mine thought the same. Come to find out I had a tire starting to separate that was not visable yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I made a mark on the tires where the valve stem was lined up last time this happened. Checked it yesterday and it doesn't look like it moved to me. Wouldn't have been a very precise marking though, it could probably move 1/8-1/4" without me noticing.

Next time they start to go out of balance I'll get some beads. Thanks guys.

butch2000

Jun 19, 2012
another more helpfull forum
my last truck was a cummins , and I had lug style 315 75 16 tires on it , and they are always hard to balance and keep balanced , I hate shacking tires , I balanced them with the beads and they were awesome no shake at any speed , they re- balance every time you stop and start moving again , !!:thumb:

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I forgot to update this, I had Discount roadforce balance the tires and they told me 2 were out of spec and couldn't balance out.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I forgot to update this, I had Discount roadforce balance the tires and they told me 2 were out of spec and couldn't balance out.

On a 275/55/20 four ply? did they try match mounting tires on the wheels?

If you still have a little shake problem throw a small bag of balance beads in them and you should be good to go.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah they rotated two of the tires on the rim, still no go. I'll try the balance beads. It's bad around 70mph. Crappy part is I bought these tires and wheels already mounted on ebay. Next time I'll get them from a tire store like Discount so I can get them replaced if there's a problem. I'm trying to wear these ones out now so I can justify buying new ones.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Only time Ive heard of a tire slipping on the rim was on drag cars or guys in the dunes running low psi.

I've had it happen on mine a couple of times. PYO's with 245/75/16's at 50 psi, and i manage to every few months have it moved almost an inch on the bead. and I'm not making big power like many out there.