Who makes GM brakes?

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Need to do my brakes on my LBZ. In this category I prefer OE rather than aftermarket. For pads I was planning on going with the "Revised F1 Part Design" that ACDelco offers, 17D784CH1 and 17D785CH1 being front and rear. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

However, I believe that Raybestos is the actual manufacturer of the ACDelco pads based on photos and the part numbers, MGD784CH and MGD785CH, no way that is some funny coincidence. This would be great if someone could confirm that because the Raybestos pads are less than half the price of the ACDelco ones.

I also think that Raybestos makes the GM rotors as well. I don't think it is coincidence that the ACDelco parts site and the Raybestos site use the same photos...

Can someone confirm or deny this? Is this already common knowledge and I am a big dummy?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Unless you get new old stock, you’re never gonna get the same pads that these things head factory. The formulas for the aftermarket aren’t the same.

Akebono are hard to beat unless you want more performance. It’s all we will sell. we had the Brembo rep come by the shop and is trying to get us to start pushing Brembo on cars because Napa is going to start carrying them. I got a couple free sets of pads to put on my techs car and the shop owners dually so we’ll see how they last. I don’t have high hopes for them though. We will see. Might put a set on the limo too.

Reactions: pl_silverado

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
@Chevy1925 Absolutely not expecting original life out of replacements. Factory brakes are just flat out different. Just was looking for whatever GM deems to be their replacement pad.

Definitely not in need of performance. Truck stops pretty good even with warped rotors.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I would never run anything factory. Stop tech slotted rotors, and EBC pads only for our trucks. Do factory parts stop the trucks, sure. Don’t forget the good brake fluid. Being able to stop 5’ sooner could be the difference from dying and living in an accident, especially since factory parts take forever to respond to pedal input. Rant over lol

Edit: I’ll add hawk super duty is a decent middle ground pad. Good life and a lot better bite than factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoser

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
I would never run anything factory. Stop tech slotted rotors, and EBC pads only for our trucks. Do factory parts stop the trucks, sure. Don’t forget the good brake fluid. Being able to stop 5’ sooner could be the difference from dying and living in an accident, especially since factory parts take forever to respond to pedal input. Rant over lol
Yeah I will be doing brake fluid as well.

That is interesting you say that. I feel like this truck stops really nicely, maybe I just come from shitty brakes and this is better than those? lol

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Yeah I will be doing brake fluid as well.

That is interesting you say that. I feel like this truck stops really nicely, maybe I just come from shitty brakes and this is better than those? lol
Response time and the ABS ability to cycle faster will make a huge difference in stopping ability. I find that the brakes are good enough to lock up factory tires but everywhere else they aren’t that good. If at minimum run Castrol SRF fluid, flush the entire system and ABS will work 5 times better

Reactions: shakenfake

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Edit: I’ll add hawk super duty is a decent middle ground pad. Good life and a lot better bite than factory.

Yeah but god damn that brake dust .

• Haha

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
AC Delco wave slotted rotors and Hawk extreme duty are my go to for most customers. My truck has EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and EBC pads and GAWD DAMN does it stop insanely well but for the $$ they cost it should be an F1 car.

I also WOULD NOT skip the stainless brake hoses, massive improvement in pedal feel and response as they don't expand/swell like OEM rubber style hoses. An LML hydroboost also is a real nice improvement over anything 01-10 but not a requirement obviously.

Good brake fluid (Castrol SRF or Motul RBF 660) is also a big help.

Reactions: gmduramax

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Interesting, thanks for the $.02 Brad I will keep that in mind. Is Russell still the number one for stainless braided or is there someone else I should take a look at?

LML hydroboost is not something I want to do at this time.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
There might be other places that do ss braided hoses, but I went with Russel, they're a DOT line as well. To get the front lines to fit like I wanted, I ended up taking the mount off the OEM hose and putting on the Russel line (you'll need some rubber hose over the Russel line to make up the difference in OD). The way the instructions have you mounting the line to the upper arm wasn't satisfactory IMO and it was hard to keep the hose from contacting the tire at full lock.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Interesting, thanks for the $.02 Brad I will keep that in mind. Is Russell still the number one for stainless braided or is there someone else I should take a look at?

LML hydroboost is not something I want to do at this time.
Russell is what I always use and I do what PureHybrid does to keep routing nice and tidy. I don't know where I saw it before (may have been here) and I've been doing them that way ever since.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I got a Russel ss line kit for my truck but the rear center line was wrong size on the frame end. Contacted Russel about it and they said they will see what they can do and never heard boo back. Mean time i heard about the Crown band of line so i contacted them about a center line and yep they have it for so much so i got it ordered and had in few days time. I felt like the customer service was way better at crown so if i do another set i might try them out.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
I used the kryptonite/ dmaxstore stainless line kit on my truck. Fitment was spot on and haven't had any issues to date. Also have the LML hydroboost. I ain't no pussy 🤣!

Reactions: 1FastBrick