Who here has played with gasser EFI Tunes?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Have a few buddies with 96 Z71s that are wanting me to tune their trucks for lift, regear, etc etc. Figure might as well toss some power in there too :D

Whos played with gas tunes? Any hints tips tricks or tunes I could take a look at? thanks

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I've finally got my dad's 5.3 running pretty good. Didn't do much in the ecm file except use SS timing tables, and a couple other things. The tcm tuning really helped alot, along with 390 gears. The truck will go into V4 mode pulling a boat:eek: Which is great for fuel miledge:D

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Bumpin this back up... working on my 2000 tahoe - went and got it out of the field today where its been sitting for 14 months! :eek:

Copy of what I posted somewhere else....

Anyone?

The tahoe is on 40s, and of course has ABS Issues. Does EFI LIVE have any control over that system? I know I can recalibrate to get it close, but I seem to remember that 35 is the biggest you can go in the ABS computer (think that has to be done with a tech 2 anyway,right?)

2nd question.... every time I get in and drive I start going and at about 3mph the throttle cuts out and LOW TRACTION comes lit up on my control panel on the left side of the steering wheel. I have to push the traction control off button and it will go again. Any way I can disable that system with EFI LIVE, or is related to the above deal?

Thanks guys!

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I seem to remember that 35 is the biggest you can go in the ABS computer (think that has to be done with a tech 2 anyway,right?)

Correctamundo...

2nd question.... every time I get in and drive I start going and at about 3mph the throttle cuts out and LOW TRACTION comes lit up on my control panel on the left side of the steering wheel. I have to push the traction control off button and it will go again. Any way I can disable that system with EFI LIVE, or is related to the above deal?

Thanks guys!

If you want me to take a look, send me the stock tune...

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
I have a 2001 2500HD crew cab 6.0 with a few mods
K&N intake, throttle body spacer, Grantelli mass flow sensor
Edelbrock Ceramic headers straight piped to a 4 inch flowmaster muffler back system
Hypertech programmer and thermostat
Platnium plugs MSD ignition coils taylor plug wires

The truck hauls azz. Im not to happy with the programmer I think it doesnt do much for the money, Id rather have a custom program done.
Also I did most of the upgrades at the same time so I really cant tell ya if 1 thing or the other is better, and I did go from a dual exit flowmaster to a single exit cause I was told that it would be better I do believe I gained a few more H.P. by doing so.

The best part is that I get about 18mpg with the upgrades if I stay off of it I do like the sound of the flowmaster so I kinda rev it up.

I wish there was a dyno here so I could tell ya how much H.P. it actually makes

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I do tuning on gassers, mostly on stock or fairly stock applications. Guys with lots of mods or looking for the max power they can get really need to get dyno tuned. If you drive the car everyday and can make changes little by little you should be able to get it dialed in close to a dyno tune. Without tuning the vehicle in person and being able to log it and see everything at once you can only go so far with the timing and still be in the "safe" zone. 2 identical trucks and one might knock with anything over 25* timing while the other doesn't until 29*.

As far as your ABS and tire size related issues, don't want to or have time to research and mess with that.

DJMS has had me do a few tunes for his and his friends' and family's gas trucks and has been really happy with the results. I have also tuned more than a few gas trucks and cars locally, one guy swears I dropped his 6.0 GTO .3 in the 1/4 but I think part of it is that he learned to drive it - it being an auto there was more to gain through tuning though. Also have a friend with a 1500 2WD Sierra with a 6.0 and just my tuning that is a very strong running gas truck IMO, and it takes alot for a gas truck to remotely impress me.

Last edited:

Redbone

but this one goes to 11
May 1, 2008
Indy, IN
I do tuning on gassers, mostly on stock or fairly stock applications. Guys with lots of mods or looking for the max power they can get really need to get dyno tuned.

Othrgrl, I haven't played with the gasser tuning, but I've heard that the gains in power and economy are minimal in the 5.3's and 6.0's in stock configuration, but tuning really shines when you start changing hardware. Much truth to that?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Othrgrl, I haven't played with the gasser tuning, but I've heard that the gains in power and economy are minimal in the 5.3's and 6.0's in stock configuration, but tuning really shines when you start changing hardware. Much truth to that?

Thats what ive heard/experienced. Especially when you get into turbo/superchargers, new cams, etc etc.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
As far as hp the most I have heard of from a out of the box tune is from a guy named Willy Wiggins - he claims 40rwhp on tuning only on the vortec motors and many have dynoed 40+hp higher at the rear tires with his tunes. Like I said above if you want to get the very most out of it a dyno tune by someone that specialized in Vortecs is the way to go.

The trucks that I have tuned (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 8.1) have all seen and reported at least 2mpg improvements, none have been hp junkies that dyno or race their trucks - but they have all been happy with the performance gains as well. As LB7Diesel said the trans tuning can go a long way with minor engine tuning changes. PM DJMS, he has put my tunes on a few gassers and is happy with them - he keeps coming back for more.

One thing that DJMS asked me to tune that I won't is the trailblazer with the variable valve timing and I think it had direct injection too, but it's been a while. I don't have the time or desire to research how to tune that type of engine and I would want to tune one in person before I would ever send off a shot in the dark tune for something like that.

But yes in stock form tuning will not get you much hp (especially compared to what we are used to); but once you add cams, headers, turbos, N2O, ect going from stock tuning to dialed in on a dyno will get you some really big gains

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
Who has got a tune to try on a 99 5.3 with all the normal bolt ons, cam, 8.1 marine injectors (i think they're 40lb), and a built tranny with a 3000 stall? Trying to get a good running tune on this thing. I've looked on all the sites, most of those gasser guys don't want to help for nothing it seems. Any help??

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
It's because unless they have the exact same setup as you their tune isn't going to work for your friends truck. Gassers are much more touchy when it comes to tuning and a wideband O2 sensor is really neccesary to get it dialed in even close once you have changed injectors. If you were in NC I would tell you to take it to RPM - Ryan's Performance Machines, he is a hell of a vortec/LSX tuner, has the fastest N2O radial car in the country and tunes rob's (hastingsrj) 11.39 second camaro.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Heck, all I'd want is a mileage tune for the wife's 01 Blazer with the 4.3 in it. I asked Nick and he said it was possible....

Gotta love EFI Live.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
Yeah, for a mostly stock truck (intake and exhaust mods) I can write economy tunes that will also net you some performance and throttle response. I just don't do all out tuning on the more modded stuff. Judging from Nicks screen name here I'm sure he has a good bit of gas tuning experience.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Yeah, for a mostly stock truck (intake and exhaust mods) I can write economy tunes that will also net you some performance and throttle response. I just don't do all out tuning on the more modded stuff. Judging from Nicks screen name here I'm sure he has a good bit of gas tuning experience.

What do you have for an '06 LQ9? Just a Magnaflow cat-back.

blownaway

Shopping for a CCLB
Dec 31, 2008
Olympia, Wa
We have an 03 Denali that I would love to tune. It has the same motor as the SS trucks stock. The higher HP 6.0... Not sure what model it is.....We get about 15MPG's but it is AWD..Would I need to buy EFI Live or is there another option.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
Blownaway:
The other options on the market (as far as plug and play tuners) leave alot to be desired. If you use the performance setting they hang in gears too long at part throttle - trying to slowly get to 35 and it doesn't want to hit 2nd gear, gets annoying. HP tuners is your other option for custom tuning but is basically the same as EFI. A way around buying EFI Live would be to take it to a place that does tuning but an even better option would be to get with someone local from this forum that has EFI Live, give them $100 for a VIN liscense and then have them download your stock tune and send it to myself or anyone else that does tuning on gas trucks - that person would make you a custom tune based off your stock tune, they'd email it back to the EFI Live owner and he would load it on your truck. I typically only charge $75 to do something like that so you would have $175 in it plus any additional the EFI Live owner wanted to charge to be the middle man.

Turbotug: I sent you a PM