Question: Which will tow 13k trailer better: 2500HD or 3500HD

DanMan

Mar 13, 2011
Would like to purchase new 2011 Silverado HD to tow a toy hauler. Weight fully loaded is somewhere in the 13K range. Not seeing much diff between the 2500 HD and the 3500 HD for towing. And shoud diesel be the answer in either HD version?

Currently have a 2002 2500 HD gas and going up Cajon Pass really struggled. Thanks much.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Fifth wheel or bumper hitch??

If your staying with single wheels I am not a fan of 3500's just put some air bags on and tow whatever your tires can hold

drcook

Jul 10, 2008
Bumper pull or 5th wheel ? A 3500HD Dually will always pull better due to the extra sidewalls. The engines are the same, a 3.73 is a 3.73 (4:10 is a 4:10) and the trannies are the same. The 3500 HD will have stiffer springs, not sure if the frame has any differences but the extra sidewalls will reduce sway.

The extended fenders cut MPG's a little. We only pull 8000 or so, but if I had to do it over again, I think I would have gotten a dually.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Bumper pull or 5th wheel ? A 3500HD Dually will always pull better due to the extra sidewalls. The engines are the same, a 3.73 is a 3.73 (4:10 is a 4:10) and the trannies are the same. The 3500 HD will have stiffer springs, not sure if the frame has any differences but the extra sidewalls will reduce sway.

The extended fenders cut MPG's a little. We only pull 8000 or so, but if I had to do it over again, I think I would have gotten a dually.

A dually to pull 8000Lbs???

DanMan

Mar 13, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies. I have a hitch tow and single wheel. Currently using equalizer bars for the 2002 2500 HD and using airbags. When looking at the price diff between the 2500 and the 3500 looks like less than $1200. Not considering dually. I currently have gas and the diesel is another $9k with the Allison transmission. When looking at the tow charts both look to be the same in either engine as well.

DanMan

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
Diesel is a way of life:D Once you have one the gasser will collect dust lol

Nick

i will never buy another gasser for towing adn i have a landscape buisness and towing light trailers is all i do all day long

and all my trucks are duallys except for my own 2500hd

DanMan

Mar 13, 2011
Goin for the diesel! Now can the Chevy 2500 HD handle the towing or does it need the 3500? That is the question.:confused:

vzfarms

Mar 8, 2010
near Dayton, Ohio
Towing large bumper trailer - dually. Towing 5th wheel - 2500 will do just fine. If you don't want a dually just try your bumper pull, if it sways too bad get a load distribution hitch. If you need to, adding air helper springs works really well too. Also remember, the diesel will pull more than a gasser. GM is taking into consideration the frame, brakes, and vehicle size to come up with their capacity.

Last edited:

DirtymaxLBZ

Smitty
Dec 28, 2010
Jefferson, GA
The Duramsax has twice the torque of a 6.0 gassser, 765 lb/ft to get you started. The 6.0 runs about 380 lb/ft. 2500 will be fine with air or add a leaf

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
I will say two things that you might want to consider.

First:

The same engine in the Kodiak (6.6L Duramax) is the same engine in the 2500HD and 3500HD. Same with the tranny. That should sell you on the fact that the diesel will pull anything you want. No matter what it's in.

Second:

I had a 2003 1500HD. Was going to use it to move me and my stuff (28 ft. Cargo Trailer with everything I own in it.) in 2008. Gas was about $5 a gal. I estimated about $5000 in gas alone to drive up there. Taking into consideration about 8 MPG, which is what I got hauling that trailer.
I then traded it in for my 2003 2500HD w/Duramax and Ally. Found out what it cost me to haul my trailer. I got between 11 and 15 MPG. I estimated about $2500 to $2600 in fuel to get where I was going. And that's about what I payed.

All that was my logical way of thinking. And I never looked back. I love my truck. The 2500HD will pull anything the 3500HD will. The dually is a bit more stable with heavier loads than the single wheels. And the frames are a little bit beefier on the back half than the 2500HD. At least it is with the 03 year. From the rear wheel wells forward, it should be the same.

That is my:2cents:

drcook

Jul 10, 2008
A dually to pull 8000Lbs???

Our 2500HD diesel pulls just fine. However, we go through the mountains and on some of the grades if you lose a back tire it is going to be exciting. Having 2 extra wheels back there provides just a little extra security.

When I go to Nebraska and other places out west and the semis come blowing past at 75 to 80 mph their wind cushion tends to push the truck and trailer around, regardless of sway control. 4 extra sidewalls would help there also.

Now statistically is it going to happen to us ? Probably not. I never let the tires wear down, I am fanatical about having good tires on the truck. The weight distribution hitch and sway bar I use is rated beyond what I need (not enought to bend a trailer frame but enough so there is cushion). I really pay attention when going through the mountains. And I don't drive above 65 as my truck gets its best mileage at 62'ish when pulling, that is right around 1800/1900 rpm

So since our truck is a recreation vehicle only, then yes, if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a dually. However, at the time, the dealership knocked $10,000 off the sticker price of the 2500HD truck due to needing to make a sale so we ended up paying a little over 35 for a pretty well equipped CCSB 4x4. That was hard to walk away from.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Our 2500HD diesel pulls just fine. However, we go through the mountains and on some of the grades if you lose a back tire it is going to be exciting. Having 2 extra wheels back there provides just a little extra security.

When I go to Nebraska and other places out west and the semis come blowing past at 75 to 80 mph their wind cushion tends to push the truck and trailer around, regardless of sway control. 4 extra sidewalls would help there also.

Now statistically is it going to happen to us ? Probably not. I never let the tires wear down, I am fanatical about having good tires on the truck. The weight distribution hitch and sway bar I use is rated beyond what I need (not enought to bend a trailer frame but enough so there is cushion). I really pay attention when going through the mountains. And I don't drive above 65 as my truck gets its best mileage at 62'ish when pulling, that is right around 1800/1900 rpm

So since our truck is a recreation vehicle only, then yes, if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a dually. However, at the time, the dealership knocked $10,000 off the sticker price of the 2500HD truck due to needing to make a sale so we ended up paying a little over 35 for a pretty well equipped CCSB 4x4. That was hard to walk away from.

I would put the money in a fifth wheel trailer IMO... that will get rid of any sway

drcook

Jul 10, 2008
I would put the money in a fifth wheel trailer IMO... that will get rid of any sway

I just had to say it. I posted and deleted a couple times, then I went and read through a bunch of your posts, and just like 99% of them, is simply bullsh*t and has nothing at all to do with the subject at hand other than to hear your own keyboard click, just like people that run their mouths to hear themselves talk.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
First off Diesel is the only way to go if your towing. The difference in fuel economy and torque is worth every penny in the purchase price.

Second off in a 2500 verses a 3500 either truck will do the job. BUT I'd prefer a Dually for stability alone! Sure you can screw with changing your 'set-up' with a 2500 series but with a Dually no matter what you throw at it bumper pull or 5'th wheel she'll haul it with class! By the time your done setting up a 2500 to tow like a Dually you'll exceed the purchase price of a Dually!

Ask anyone the tows with a Dually and ask them if they'd trade down to a 2500 series.Or anyone who has gone from a 2500 to a 3500 for towing! You'll have your answer. :thumb:

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I just had to say it. I posted and deleted a couple times, then I went and read through a bunch of your posts, and just like 99% of them, is simply bullsh*t and has nothing at all to do with the subject at hand other than to hear your own keyboard click, just like people that run their mouths to hear themselves talk.

WTF are you talking about?:confused: Where did your little attitude come from? You just being a baby cause I don't agree with you, did you miss the part where I said that is my opinion? Why don't you post up some of my BS post that have nothing to do with the subject:confused:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I prefer the single rear wheel , dually is awesome but there are alot of down falls the 350 days out if the year your not towing , I just put 1400 miles on my crew cab long bed towing a 48ft flat bed goose neck with another dmax and a side by side on it , tows like a dream and have air bags so the rear spring capacity is the same or better than a 3500 and rides soft when i dont need the extra.

towboattrash34

Sep 30, 2010
Picayune, Ms
I prefer the single rear wheel , dually is awesome but there are alot of down falls the 350 days out if the year your not towing , I just put 1400 miles on my crew cab long bed towing a 48ft flat bed goose neck with another dmax and a side by side on it , tows like a dream and have air bags so the rear spring capacity is the same or better than a 3500 and rides soft when i dont need the extra.
i tow a 40ft 13,500lb toy hauler with my 2500.... i had roadmaster active suspension on it then took it off and tried air bags..... the air bags hold up the load,but do do crap for handling so they are coming off and the roadmaster's are going back on..... you ought to look into those Trent....

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
My vote is fifth wheel pulled by dually hands down. That said, I didn't have the $$ or tow frequently enough to justify the dually as a daily driver. The 2500 tows my camper no issue through the mountains of NH and VT! :D:D

My 6.0 gasser simply hated the hills BTW.