Which Intercooler?

maine dmax

Mar 28, 2009
I was going to upgarde my stock intercooler with a BD when they came out for the 06-up trucks, but was recently reading a Banks add, really, and it seems as though, acording to them they make the best intercooler, of course. Does anyone have experience with these intercoolers, I was originally going to buy a Spearco, but the BD seemed better, now a Banks:confused:Thanks

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wouldn't bother. Unlike the dodges and fords, GM's stock cooler isn't that bad. Plenty of guys are running up to 60psi and making 750+ hp with stock intercoolers. If your going to bother changing it, go with a water to air system. Money much better spent IMO.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
from my experience i would never run an aftermarket intercooler. every aftermarket one i have ever seen with high boost going through it has split in many pieces

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
We run a Spearco on Max's Out and sent it back to be renforced. It blew two of the welded caps off the bolt through braces on the outlet side, Nathan redid it and installed 6 more, holding well now. Samething on the 06, it started to bulge on the outlet side so we did the same treatment on it. It also a Spearco.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
we have a Banks unit in IronHyde...some have said they blow welds at 45 psi...we give it 45 psi almost daily and no issues. dropped EGT's 100 degrees at WOT, lowered peak boost 2 PSI

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
For competition performance I would only recommend upgrading if you have a problem with the stock unit. My stock one didn't like 60+ PSI for long and when I leak checked it I realized it held air about as good as a screen door - so I upgraded to a BD unit. Towing and daily driving the BD unit did lower EGTs by 100-200* for me over the stock unit. It looks like a very well built unit and I am happy with it so far. As soon as my new injectors get here I'll be able to report on it's racing performance and the drop of boost.

Last edited:

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
I wouldn't bother. Unlike the dodges and fords, GM's stock cooler isn't that bad. Plenty of guys are running up to 60psi and making 750+ hp with stock intercoolers. If your going to bother changing it, go with a water to air system. Money much better spent IMO.

1. can you still run these on a dd?
2. how much room do they take up?
3. are there any proven gains?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
1. can you still run these on a dd?
2. how much room do they take up?
3. are there any proven gains?

a water to air intercooler is a competition only type of modification... generally the are inside the cab in a box like container(can vary in types) and it is filled with ice/water... shit when you have 300F air going into the W/A intercooler and 100F coming out the air density helps most def. is it worth it on an 11 second truck? ask the guys who actually have them and see what they say