Wheels Toe in with Tie Rods

03DuramaxDrew

Mar 31, 2011
Petersburg, MI
So i pulled for the second time this week, It was very dumb of me not to lower by torsion bars, but I went ahead and did it anyway. I have the alligator performance FR end kit with tie rods, idler arm and pit man arm plus the supports.

I was told that my wheels were toeing in really bad and bouncing. I just want to be sure it was because I failed to lower the torsion bars and not that I need something else up front. Everything is OK underneath.

I had 2 very nice pulls overall and a couple bad ones where I couldn't stop hopping.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The higher your front end is, the more leverage the centerlink/tie rods have on the wheels to toe them in. Also, your rear end bouncing will make the front end raise and lower rapidly. It will toe in worse every time it raises.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Tie rods dont fix toe in issues, lowering the front end does. Ive seen a few fast trucks around here with stock parts up front at the strip and low front end and all is fine.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I have found the All Season bracket fixes the center link twist much more effectively than the other supports. I have the bent cognito braces in a box to prove it.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yup, the lower the front is, the less the toe effect.
Also, wheels with Dodge backspacing reduce the effect as well. Run as much backspace as you can clear.

While it doesn't make for wonderful handling, going 1/8" toe out for drag racing or sled pulling helps.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yup, the lower the front is, the less the toe effect.
Also, wheels with Dodge backspacing reduce the effect as well. Run as much backspace as you can clear.

While it doesn't make for wonderful handling, going 1/8" toe out for drag racing or sled pulling helps.

x2, the goal is to make your tie rods level or even a bit negitive to the centerlink so when teh front does raise, its still fairly close to level and reduces the toe in affect.

If you run around with the front end cranked and had it aligned that way, when you drop the front end your gunna gain 1/2-1" of toe out due to our horrible bumpsteer issues, this will actually help you like Pat pointed out. specially if you have any wear in the tie rods, wheel bearings, ect.