wheel tire combo for towing heavy...

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
I currently have 3 sets of wheels and tires, none of which should be towing the weights I'm currently hauling :eek:. I've got my PYO's with 265/75/16 BFG AT's load range D's which do all of my towing currently. 16X10 eagle alloys with 33/13.5/16 baja clays (for sled pulling and deep snow on girlfriends farm) and 17X8 H2's with 315/70/17 BFG ATs for summertime on the girlfriends farm.

I want to break down either the 33's or 35's and get a set of michelin ltx m+s ot at2's in a 265 load range e size for heavy towing. Which wheel would be better for 265's? the H2 17X8 or the eagle alloy 16X10. I want the most stability possible because I'm only a SRW truck and don't like the trailer trying to walk the back end of my truck around.

The trailer I move is a 12500# bumper pull 35' long.

What do you guy think is best? Is the 16X10 too wide??

-Kyle

Last edited:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
10" would be a bit wide for my taste. I would use the H2s or the PYO's and put a set of E rated 265 street treads on it, like the Michelins you mentioned, fill them to 80psi and have at it.
I have Goodyear Wrangler silent armor 265-75-16 E-rated on my truck now, I put them up to 80 psi if I am going to haul heavy and they hardly bulge the sidewall loaded 10Klbs+. The truck (which I know is heavier than yours) don't sway a bit with these tires either, no worries of the tail trying to wag the dog.

If you get too aggressive it could give you tread wobble. My buddy that hauls sheds only uses the factory size E-rated street tread tires for his home delivery truck.

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
I would tow with the 315's. I tow a heavy 5er and it is much better with the 315's. Less pressure and more volume. I believe my weight limit on the tire is higher in the D then the stock E.

I have used 16x10 and 16x8. Didn't notice much difference, but only with the 315's.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
my issue right now is the sidewall flexing. i need something that will stop the tail from wagging the dog like whitetail said. my 265's are great and handling the weight but there is just too much rollside to side due to it being a d range instead of e.

the4wheeler

--->(Something Funny)<---
May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
well if you go with the H2 17" rims theres gona be less side wall to flex
my self if i were running that weight on a single i might step up to 19.5 rims with commercial tires defenetly would not have to worry about side wall deflection

i also assume you have your weight distribution hitch set up right? and have good tension on the bars themself ? do you have that sway dampener bar that you can add on to the system?

you could allwas go extreme and do a dually conversion :D

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
trailer not set up for sway bars. not my trailer, if it were it would definitly would have them though. tried getting a set of 19.5 take offs from a f550 but they were 10 lug. been looking into a dually conversion though :) want to keep it simple though. i have a set of 16.5 aluminum dual wheels on an old box truck right now but can't use them til i scrap the truck. i'll eventually use them thats why i want to save my $ for 6 16.5 tires later instead of blowing a ton of cash on new wheels and tires right now.

the4wheeler

--->(Something Funny)<---
May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
i would jump on e bay and pick up a system!!!!!!! keep the hitch and sway bars to your self maybe have the owner of the trailer kick you 50$ for just the trailer side brackets (thats about what the brackets coust)

you would be surprised how much better they make your drive

smith6.6

Aug 14, 2006
waukesha Wi
The michelins will make a difference they are a great tire for towing but horrible traction in wet conditions once there about half worn definatly go with a E rateing and if you go with a taller wheel so you have less side wall it will help a lot. Nitto has some new tires I think there called duragrappler that are specific for towing

02duramax

Nov 9, 2008
Yreka Ca
wow 80 psi ?? i have a 32 ft travel trailer 6500 lbs. i run BFG all terrains 33x12.50x15 tires and i usually set them at the max cold pressure which is 45 psi. never heard of running the tires that high in pressure.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
E-rated tires.........My E-rated Goodyears say 80psi max cold as well as my E-rated BFGs. Your BFG's are probably D-rated (8 ply).
Check your door sticker.....mine says 80psi for the rear tires, 55psi front. I run them all at 70psi except when I'm hauling heavy.
Hope this helps clear it up.

Magilla

May 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Be sure to look at the weight rating as well as the load rating. A load range E tire in 245/75R16 may only be rated at 3100 lbs when mounted single, while the same tire in 265/75R16 may be rated to carry 3450 lbs.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
x2 on the ltx m/s being bad in snow. My next set will b e the ltx at2 on the truck.

oh, I also have almost 100,000 miles on the ltx m/s and still life left

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
trailer not set up for sway bars. not my trailer, if it were it would definitly would have them though. tried getting a set of 19.5 take offs from a f550 but they were 10 lug. been looking into a dually conversion though :) want to keep it simple though. i have a set of 16.5 aluminum dual wheels on an old box truck right now but can't use them til i scrap the truck. i'll eventually use them thats why i want to save my $ for 6 16.5 tires later instead of blowing a ton of cash on new wheels and tires right now.

I've got a set of clamp on torsion bars and sway bar. fast and easy to switch from one trailer to another. I think any larger camper parts store should be able to get them for you.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
i would jump on e bay and pick up a system!!!!!!! keep the hitch and sway bars to your self maybe have the owner of the trailer kick you 50$ for just the trailer side brackets (thats about what the brackets coust)

you would be surprised how much better they make your drive

X2 here. This is where you will make the largest improvement in control of the trailer. My holiday trailer is 9000# fully loaded up and without the bars she gets a little squirelly-especially in the wind. Plus depending on how much tongue weight that trailer has, you may be overloading your hitch. I can install my complete system on my trailer in 10 min - with one arm too:D;)

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
well i spent some $, got a an equalizer clamp on sway bar system, and a set of 265 70 17 michelin at2's had a 12k 34 footer a couple weeks ago and i didn't even know it was there if i didn't look in the mirrors!! simply amazing what the right hitch and wheel tire combo does!