whats the deal with slicks?

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
why cant i find any slicks other then the m/h cheater slicks that 30 inches tall on a 16 inch rim. from what i understand a 28 is too short. not much out there for options. what are all of you guys with built motors and all running? i dont really care about the rim size other then it cant be 15"(man that would be nice), but i would like a dot so i can run the street race events they have here. any suggestions?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
There isn't a good DOT option. Most run drag radials (they call them slicks for some reason) 28-29.5", The M&H Cheater slicks are not made anywhere near safe for our front end weight and side walls will fail after a bit of time.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I have the M&H DR's 275/55/60 on stock PYO's... they have 4 passes on them i am thinking about selling them

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
There isn't a good DOT option. Most run drag radials (they call them slicks for some reason) 28-29.5", The M&H Cheater slicks are not made anywhere near safe for our front end weight and side walls will fail after a bit of time.

thanks rob, i did not know that. ill def. look into some drag radials then.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
I have the M&H DR's 275/55/60 on stock PYO's... they have 4 passes on them i am thinking about selling them

yeah ive thought about these but i dont they are tall enough for my truck. i was thinking guys were running out of rpms or real high rpm's with the 28's.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Cheater slicks

Rob, I guess I must have missed somewhere that someone had a blow out will racing? I never had a problem with them. Are they rated for the weight we run? No, But are trucks were never intended to run over a 100 also. I'm not saying that we don't need a better tire but I still haven't heard of anyone blowing one out going down the track. Jeff

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Jeff, I've heard of a couple guys that upon removing the tires from the rims they discovered the side walls coming apart. I ran a set, with tubes, for a few passes and then sold them. IIRC they have 2 ply side walls.

Just thought I'd share the news for what it's worth.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
yeah ive thought about these but i dont they are tall enough for my truck. i was thinking guys were running out of rpms or real high rpm's with the 28's.

chances are you are going to need 3.42 gears unless you run a tall tire. If DOT is not a problem for you M&H makes tall slicks for bigger wheels.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Rhall is selling his Mickey Tompsons , They are the same tire and wheel i run and i have been very happy with how they have performed . I do agree with all that a better tire is needed . Or we beed to find a way to hook up better .

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
Rhall is selling his Mickey Tompsons , They are the same tire and wheel i run and i have been very happy with how they have performed . I do agree with all that a better tire is needed . Or we beed to find a way to hook up better .

yeah i saw he was selling his, would like to have them but with shipping and all they would be pretty expensive. i was going to buy maybe tires first, then wheels later.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
thanks rob, ill probably try and find some drag radials, because we have "street" racing events here at zmax and you have to have dots tires to run.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Tires

Rob, I was wondering what size wheel and offset you run when you tried these tires? Mine only run 133 but you could take your hands off the steering wheel anywhere down the track and not worry about what it was going to do. Sorry for being short but I see this as a friend of a friend kinda thing. Sorry everyone I will stay out of this tread. Jeff

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I had 28 x 11.5 MT ET Streets (DOT cheaters) and ran 122mph on them. With a 5 speed and 3.73 that puts you around 3800 through the traps. Not "out of RPM" but I would like to have more room to go faster. I was going to swap to 3.42 gears to fix it but then Jeff put his tires and rims up for sale so I sold mine and bought his 30x14 M&H cheaters and can't wait to try them out. With an E-locker in the front I was spinning all 4 of the MT's and only managing 1.65 60' times, hoping for 1.5s or better with the new tires and the QA1 shocks that are on their way.