What would you do?

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I am slowly assembling everything for a possible project truck. I have in my sights a 1956 Chevy 3100 ready for a restoration project with a Duramax. I have a friend interested in my pulling truck chassis so I would keep my pulling motor that I would swap in or I could sell my pulling motor and pick up a stock motor and add a few go fast parts. But I am really wanting a ZF6 in the truck but of course they are extremely hard to come by in a 2WD form. Or should I just go with an Allison as they are easier to come by.

I am only going to put a S472 on at the biggest maybe stick with an S366 as a light 2wd truck will be hard to keep straight with too much power on tap!

What would you do a fully built motor or stockish motor? ZF6 or Allison?

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Finding a 2wd ZF6 with all the needed parts are hard to come by. Where are you finding them for $1,500?

No I would either swap my built motor in or sell it and buy a stocker motor and just put it in.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
If the 3100 is a cruiser then you don't want a temperamental setup. You want to get in and enjoy the ride. The 3100 is pretty light so even a mild tune will scoot it along pretty good. If you want a street or strip racer that's a different plan.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I want a street cruiser that will keep running and have a little fun with it. I agree it will be light. I would guess it would be all motor/trans weight.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
i think an allison with ur built engine and nice set of drag radials with the 472 would be super fun and fast truck, im a drag racer though...

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Sticking with an LB7 as I know of plenty out there for cheap. But I would agree LBZ with a 6 speed and a small tune. You could probably go to 150hp tune as the trans doesn't have the stress unlike in a Dmax.

Anyone know if a Powerglide would bolt up to a Dmax lol.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Just short a couple bolt holes, same pattern... How much u want for your lb7 power plant, pm me or text me... I have a complete lb7 donor truck, we sold the built trans out of it, but pretty much everything else is there... let me know what u think, I could easily get a 2wd output shaft and housing... I can also build allisons, maybe we could work out a good deal for both of us...

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Yes the glide will bolt up. That's what jeff dean runs in dragster. :) IDK the particulars on the convertor arrangement though.

Plenty of work needed on those puny frames. Its sad when you're upgrading chassis on those with s10 chassis swaps. LOL

Here's some inpiration though....
[YOUTUBE]youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I emailed the guy about his truck from his youtube video's to see if I can get some more info like how much clearance there was to wedge that big @$$ Allison in there lol those are huge transmissions.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Stockish motor. I dont think that truck's frame could withstand your built motor, could it?

Heck, dont email the guy....invite him here. We'd all love to hear the story of that build.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah that frame is pretty flimsy lol. I think I will see about having it beefed up a little when it's in the shop to get fitted for the motor and trans.

I'll see if I can get him to come on here when he responds.