What to do !

Doudad

Jan 23, 2010
Kansas City
Have a 04 GMC CCSB with a LLY, has 105K on the clock with no upgrades. Wanting to know where to start? Was looking at the following. Also what would be the best order to do
Banks Power Ram Air Cold Air Intake
Banks Exhaust
PPE Hot 2 Programmer with Dash Board
Need what would be best, just looking for better performance and mileage
Only getting 16.2 mpg
Also Speedometer quit or works when it wants too, sensor?
Thanks,
Doudad

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
sounds like a good order of upgrades, when my speedo quit working, i replaced the dash cluster, cost around $400 to fix :D

moved here

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
S&B Intakes are similar but at a much better price so are various exhaust systems. The PPE is a good pre_canned tuner but EFI live is better and cost would be similar also with tuning. The mileage can be gotten a little better but that depends on your right foot. Real gauges are really better than the all in one type stuff. Just giving my opinion. Wish you well with your upgrades.

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
Speedo is a common problem, bad stepper motor in the instrument cluster. Send your instrument cluster to these guys for repair: http://www.instrumentclusters.com/ . It was about $200 to get all of the stepper motors replaced for the gauges in the dash in the wife's trailblazer. Turnaround was quick and they have a year or 2 warranty with it.
Most people say that they don't really notice a difference in anything with an intake and it is pretty much a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere. I used the stock one until I got a turbo, and it is homemade now. There are tons of exhaust systems to choose from, Banks is good but you can spend half the moeny on some other very reputable brands. I used the PPE programmer for a few years and it worked awesome and was simple to use. I now have EFI Live and like it better, but it can be more work. Cos is basically the same for either programmer, but I can program both of my trucks for the price of one, and I can do any additional vehicles for a 100 bucks a pop.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Call Chad at alligator performance. He's a vendor here and has smokin deals on magnaflow exhausts etc. I'd go with a magnaflow or whatevers cheapest and efilive

Doudad

Jan 23, 2010
Kansas City
What to do, Upgrades

I will probably do these upgrades in stages, so do what first? Would the EFI Live be best for a a stock motor? I bought this truck new, use for some towing and some snow plowing. Normally just my daily driver. Just want the best performance for the money. without breaking the bank. Truck has been great, hell went 95K on the original brakes and rotors before the calipers froze. Thanks, for the help.
Doudad

Lb7KID

ZoomZoom
Jan 24, 2010
parker,colo
i would start off off with air in take and exhust first you got to let it breath a little better befor you go throwing more heat at it imo

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
PPE has instructions to modify your stock airbox to flow just as good as aftermarket ones, that would save a few hundred. Do a full exhaust first, you should also reroute your pcv, its cheap and quick. I would also block the EGR, again a cheap mod. just my $0.02:thumb:

tech141

USAF Retired
Feb 24, 2010
Belleville, IL
There are those who say the original intake will flow enough air to support approx. 500HP. (although the aftermarket intakes do look cool:D

Start with Programmer and then Exhaust, imo. PPE airbox mod is free, and the EGR block/PCV reroute are relatively cheap.

Over-large Tires will hurt your gas(diesel...) mileage, what size are you running? I've seen folks run up to 285's without much affect.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? That can have an affect also.

Doudad

Jan 23, 2010
Kansas City
Need Help with FPR replacement

Needing insight on FPR replacement for 2004.5 LLY, Already have AC off, top radiator hose and housing removed, main wiring connectors disconnected, can see the the FPR on back of CP3. Piping in away any suggestions ? Or do I need to remove the air inlet housing on front of turbo and then this piping that crosses over and down that is behind the FPR ?? Kind of Stuck !!
Thanks for any help !:angel:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Just remove the horn on the front of the Y bridge located in front of the turbo, not the whole bridge. Grab it and wiggle it side to side, while pulling towad the radiator. It's only held in with o-rings. That will give you enough room.

Doudad

Jan 23, 2010
Kansas City
That is the piping that crosses over the top behind the alternator then down and heads toward the bottom of the turbo ? Disconnect that from the top portion of the housing / piping then pull the lower tube forward to break free of the turbo ? Do I need to remove the air inlet housing that appears to be above the piping to the turbo ? Sound like I am close, was not sure what to take apart and what not to take apart. What a PITA !

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Henry and Darryl from Creatures of the night performace are us speedo dealers instead of fixing your old 1 you would be money ahead buy gettng a nice escalde or fox racing shocks dash for a little more. And your recipe for the mods looks good i also would go with the s@b intake looks like a very nice kit