What is GM book time for one head?

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I have a customer that brought me an LBZ with a cracked piston. The dealership removed one head and charged him 15hrs, saying that was book time. I find that hard to believe. Is there a link or anything for what GM books?

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Did they charge him for a compression test as part of that 15 hours?

15 hours doesn't seem too out of line if they did some diagnostics before they did the teardown. There's a lot of shit to be removed before either head can come off. Once all of that is out of the way, the second head is not very much more work.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
15 to remove, give est. on repair then just box up and watch it be towed out is way excessive! Around 5 is more like it. This stuff isnt rocket science people! Folks have to stop trying to squeeze a house payment out of every job they get!

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Exactly my thoughts.. We can pull a single LBZ head in 3.5hrs. Diagnosing a cracked piston is pretty simple. I would think 7hrs would be fair to quote. All they did was pull the pass side head and put everything in the bed.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
at the GM dealership i used to work at one of the master techs pulled a melted piston with rod attached out of the bottom of the block on a kodiak (never pulled the heads) and put a new piston/rod back in a couple hours....eff my life for not paying attention to how he did it but i would assume you would at least have to pull the crank or am i way off?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
at the GM dealership i used to work at one of the master techs pulled a melted piston with rod attached out of the bottom of the block on a kodiak (never pulled the heads) and put a new piston/rod back in a couple hours....eff my life for not paying attention to how he did it but i would assume you would at least have to pull the crank or am i way off?

You sure about that?

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011

not calling you a lair but,,, you sure he didnt pull the head and pull the rod/piston out the top?