What do you think, Dmax or small block gasser

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Best friend is just finishing this up, trying to talk him into a Dmax with a Duraflite, he is waffling, thinking of a small block and spraying it. What do you think? "57 Studebaker

Attachments

• Picture152.jpg
    Picture152.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 64
  • Picture154.jpg
    Picture154.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture156.jpg
    Picture156.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 59
  • Picture157.jpg
    Picture157.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 45

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
How much money does he want to put into it?

For the just the price of dmax rods alone you could build a nasty "junkyard 6.0"........

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
If he likes doing the power tours go with the d max for sure.with a d max and dsp5 he could lisc it and drive on the street pretty tame on the lower setting and dial it up at the strip

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
How much money does he want to put into it?

For the just the price of dmax rods alone you could build a nasty "junkyard 6.0"........

X2. I think it would be bad ass with a monster cam and or a nice D1SC ProCharger. You would be right around 4K for a 6.0, cam and blower. :woott:

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
used LBZ with efi live and a little spray. That right there can get you 600 to the wheels. With the same amount of money for a used LBZ What will a SBC make to the wheels? 500?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
X2. I think it would be bad ass with a monster cam and or a nice D1SC ProCharger. You would be right around 4K for a 6.0, cam and blower. :woott:

superchargers are overrated...IMO. Great, so they sound cool....but....

Most of the badass LSx gen III/IV small blocks are turbo'd.

If you want the ultimate budget small block build that will make stupid power for pretty much no money, get a 5.3 or 6.0 from the junk yard, buy a cheap chinese "ebay" turbo, Vette Z06 valve springs, and an LS6 cam. Tune it with efilive, crank up the boost, and you should make 750rwhp pretty easily.

Literally, for less than the cost of dmax rods, including buying the engine. Going rate for good used 5.3's is 500-600 bucks, and 6.0's can be had for under a grand.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
used LBZ with efi live and a little spray. That right there can get you 600 to the wheels. With the same amount of money for a used LBZ What will a SBC make to the wheels? 500?

Try double that....

and when you blow up the gasser, just go to any junk yard and pick up another one for less than the cost of 4 used duramax injectors.

Seriously guys, I think you all severely under estimate how badass the gen III/IV GM small blocks are. Take off your "diesel blinders" for a minute. You think the dmax's are so cheap and easy to get power out of????

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Try double that....

and when you blow up the gasser, just go to any junk yard and pick up another one for less than the cost of 4 used duramax injectors.

Seriously guys, I think you all severely under estimate how badass the gen III/IV GM small blocks are. Take off your "diesel blinders" for a minute. You think the dmax's are so cheap and easy to get power out of????

X2

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
I am with Ben on this one.

Now if he wants to spend the $$$ and wants something no one has go Duramax also the Duramax should also get better MPG if he wants to rack up the miles on it.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
superchargers are overrated...IMO. Great, so they sound cool....but....

If you want the ultimate budget small block build that will make stupid power for pretty much no money, get a 5.3 or 6.0 from the junk yard, buy a cheap chinese "ebay" turbo, Vette Z06 valve springs, and an LS6 cam. Tune it with efilive, crank up the boost, and you should make 750rwhp pretty easily.

Literally, for less than the cost of dmax rods, including buying the engine. Going rate for good used 5.3's is 500-600 bucks, and 6.0's can be had for under a grand.

First I'm not starting a pissing war just stating what I know. :)

A few of my buddy's have ProChargers and MagnaChargers and they are running from the mid 12's to Low 11's and they are on 33's to stock size tires with the 6.0. :woott:

It honestly comes down to what his wallet can afford and what he desires the most.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Try double that....

Well its IS a diesel site so...... i guess id like to see a diesel in it,a gasser is just another hot rod in the crowd.Most of us with hot rod background and hot rod diesels,can do a gasser project,but not all gassers can do a hot rod diesel project.I want to do a diesel in a GTO some day and i will.Oh and im not knocking gasser just think the diesel would be really cool is all. J M O

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN

I beg to differ :) This shop, Cincy Speed, cranks out quite a few procharged ls motors.

199788_10150124541329114_147282994113_6339710_645410_n.jpg

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
It takes horsepower to drive a supercharger, and turbos are driven off spent exhaust. Its way more efficient. While I love a twinscrew, a turbo will rarely be beating in performance

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I'm with Ben. Turbo'd LS motor. Or spray the crap out of an LS motor. Like Ben said if it gives up then go buy another one. If I didn't have 3 older gen small blocks already I would have have a 5.3 or 6.0 with a gt45 single.