What a 0 mi factory piston looks like.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Remember GM has that bulletin about "star pattern" on the piston indicates you were running tuning? This a piston from an engine that was test run at Moran, but damaged during shipping to the assy plant. I bought the engine at auction, it's a LiLLY:

Attachments

• MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 140

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Moran Ohio? is where they build the Dmax engines. Nothing is wrong with the engine, I was tearing it apart to build it up.
Moraine, OH.

Anyway, so is that the star pattern they were talking about? Do you think maybe they had the power turned up on it to see what kind of damage and accelerated wear it would show, or is that what anyone should expect to see when tearing into a stock engine?

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Remember GM has that bulletin about "star pattern" on the piston indicates you were running tuning? This a piston from an engine that was test run at Moran, but damaged during shipping to the assy plant. I bought the engine at auction, it's a LiLLY:

That's not a star. Too many points. Must have been something else. LOL Just Kidding..... Thanks for the picture

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The used LLY is from BMS Machine, not me. Just posting it for them.

No, the new engine I pulled the piston from was just test run like all Dmaxes. There was no oil in the intake tract or carbon on the exhaust. Looked brand new everywhere except the piston crowns and chambers had light carbon that could be wiped off with your fingers.

If you map out the injector spray pattern vs timing vs piston shape, you will see the injector sprays the top of the piston with stock tuning.