Waste gate on big turbine

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Who runs a gate on a 96mm 1.25 ar? I'm stuck with t4. In the past have not needed a gate afaik. I don't know what my pre/post pressure ratio was but I fell off the charger. This year I won't be falling off the turbo and would like opinions on gating. I know it will help with scavenging pretty good, if I can get it down to 1:1 or less, is that possible to get less than 1:1??

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
what size compressor are you running?

we ran a 96 turbine all year with a 1.1 on a 75 and NEVER fell off the charger. Rarely ever had to unlock on the end either.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Buy a Garrett charger with a good compressor in it.... First year 3.0 we ran a s483 clipped to 76mm and a 96/88 turbine with a 1.10 housing. Went rmto a gt45 with Precision 83mm clipped to 76mm with a 1.28 exh housing it spooled easier, made more boost, and had less drive pressure.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I'm gonna do some changes and tune options to hopefully stay on my current turbo alittle better. But has anyone been able to get true 1:1 or less ratio with a waste gate? I would think (even with a forced Induction you could sling way more air in the cylinder. But don't have a clue if it could keep pushing good boost strictly on low ratio and depending on heat mostly to drive it?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
As a single charger it should be easier than compounds. Run a 60 to 60mm gate go with the biggest spring combo and use a manual boost controller. It is a must to have the proper gauges to tune the gate. Try getting it close then adjusting tuning and then readjusting gate.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Not sure, I don't monitor drive pressure, but I set the gate at 55psi. Doesn't open the gate when I run only #2 but gate is open when I spray it as that's what I needed it for.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You are not allowed to run T6 Ben?

No I'm not. I just found Ed makes alittle spacer with a rectangle cutout which turns into a round pipe to connect a gate too. But in guessing its an inch thick and my turbine is like .5 from the cowl as it is already.

http://www.engineereddiesel.com/wastegates

If the gains aren't really worth the cost I don't wanna throw anymore money into it. But I would think if drive is negative or right at 1 the velocity at valve overlap will help quite abit to give the intake a jump start on sucking air in.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
IMHO I wouldn't waste your money on a gate fuel only. Waste your money on a machine shop machining/welding a T-6 housing down to fit a T-4 pedestal :thumb:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
IMHO I wouldn't waste your money on a gate fuel only. Waste your money on a machine shop machining/welding a T-6 housing down to fit a T-4 pedestal :thumb:

Is that illegal? Or you mean literally cutting off the flange and replacing it? Would that net any gain since it still runs through a t4

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Think outside the box. Its T-4 isn't it:thumb: Im sure when someone see's whats going on there going to beech. 2.5 guys are doing it. You might as well do it too.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Think outside the box. Its T-4 isn't it:thumb: Im sure when someone see's whats going on there going to beech. 2.5 guys are doing it. You might as well do it too.

Yeah I talked to them. It would be more involved than. Just v banding it up to my turbo. Would need a whole new turbo basically so I'm not gonna do it.