LBZ: Wait to start light question ( Glow Plugs)

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
The other night I noticed something odd when going to start my LBZ. The wait to start light came on and went off like it normally should, but then came back on again and didn't go away until I started the truck. After a few more times now the wait to start light comes on and doesn't shut off. It hasn't been cold at all and the truck always sits in the garage. The truck does start fine quickly without issue. I checked for DTC's with my autocal but no codes come up. Truck only has 36,000 miles but I suppose I have a bad glow plug of bad glow plug controller? I assume a code can be found with something more advanced than an autocal?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've seen them do that when they have a bad glow plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
Sound like a bad glow plug however without a code you won't know which one. Try a different scanner. I've replaced 4 on my lbz by 80000 miles

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't know if the LBZ is like the LMM. But I changed the bad glow plug and a week later another one went. Changed that one and ANOTHER one went out. Said screw it and put a fresh new complete set in. No problems since. Kinda weird how a single glow plug would go out every week.

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
I've changed single glow plugs on a few duramaxes and never had any issues. Get the codes though and it will tell you which one to change.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I doubt it. The autocal should be picking up a gp code if it was thrown.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
Normally you don't get a CEL from an individual glow glow plug. Just the wait to start light stays on. There should be a stored code though

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Normally you don't get a CEL from an individual glow glow plug. Just the wait to start light stays on. There should be a stored code though
I've yet to see an LBZ or LMM cal that wouldn't turn on the CEL with a bad glow plug. It does take 2 cycles to set it, but it should turn it on. As to the AC, it should be able to read the codes just fine if they are present.

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Noticed mine staying on. Temp dropped to the low 60s so I figured it was from temperature drop but since last winter o have changed tunes and done an engine swap. All GP looked good so I stuck those in the new motor. Wonder if I have one going out or if it's just in my new tune. No CEL or codes.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It ended up being a bad glow plug(#4). I wonder why some get the engine light to come on and others don't?

Is it tuned?

On my personal trucks I turn the glow plug codes to not display a check engine light, but if you read codes they show up. Which reminds me, now that winter is coming I should probably check my codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk