volunteer fire department lights

Southgaduramax

Apr 21, 2009
Cairo, Ga
im looking to get some strobes and a siren put on my truck and i was just looking for some ideas and if anybody on here has some and could tell me what kind and if they work pretty effectively thanks for all the help

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
First, you might want to check with local laws... when I was a VF in NY, the law indicated we where only allowed one "light" (which some, like me, interpreted as one light assembly, and others indicated one light bulb), blue in color. Nothing else. Where you are, you may or may not be allowed more. Once you find out what you're allowed to have in GA as a VF, go from there... Having said that, I'd recommend LED stuff... The LED light bars are WICKED bright... If you can't see them you shouldn't be driving.

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
the bigger the light the bigger the d*ck. Instead of worrying about lights, put your head in some books like Brannigan's on building construction. The guys with all the buff lights are usually the worst firefighters. rant off

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
the bigger the light the bigger the d*ck. Instead of worrying about lights, put your head in some books like Brannigan's on building construction. The guys with all the buff lights are usually the worst firefighters. rant off

If you say so. :rolleyes: So you're saying avery cop, firetruck, fire chief, ambulance, etc that has LED lights is nothing more than a big d*ck because they have bright emergency lights? Sounds to me like you have NO clue whatsoever. Granted, you need to know about building construction and all to fight the fires, but you need to GET THERE, and to do so before the whole town burns down, people need to get out of the way.

[rant]
Most people on the road are too retarded to drive, hence the need for super bright lights, sirens, and train horns just to pull their texting, cellphone yaking heads out of their @$$es. If I sound bitter, it is because I am due to the retards I had to deal with that didnt know how to get the F$^& out of the way for someone with emergency lights responding to an emergency call. Hell, I had some so retarded they wouldn't even get the F*#& out of the way when I was driving an ambulance with full lights, sirens & airhorns. :angry4::angry4::angry4::angry4::angry4:
[/rant]

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Before you start installing a bunch of aftermarket lights, pull the bulb housings and look for a taped over socket hole. I think you can buy the bulb sockets that fit the hole and then just install the strobes into the sockets. Simple wiring to a dedicated circuit, and bingo.

Or get a WIGWAG kit and install it. Never done either, but a WIGWAG looks intimidating based on its functions. If plugs are not available, it will require a bunch of splicing...

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
do you have a source for your lights and siren? if not galls.com has all the goodies:thumb:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I've got strobes and wig-wags on my truck. The strobes are really better for when you are parked, for some reason they don't get as much attention as the wig-wags when you are moving. LED light bars do get attention, even the little dash ones. :thumb:

Wig-wags: (I really need to get a newer/better video, they look way cooler in real life)
[YOUTUBE]UDJ9yPs6hU0[/YOUTUBE]
Wig-wag starts at 0:34 (before that is demonstrating all-on and other stuff)

Strobes: (I also have 2 on the front)
[YOUTUBE]MyOrm8JRjnQ[/YOUTUBE]
Starts at 0:08

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Was friends with a volunteer when I lived in New York. Asked him why he didn't have the blue light on his dash like most other VFs in the area.

Said that it made you a target. Easy for someone to wreck you and then claim excessive speed, reckless driving etc on your part. Something to think about....

kjp800

-
Aug 6, 2008
New Jersey
If your looking for lights, I've had good luck with the Whelen strobe kits and LEDs. The TIR55s work very nice and don't cost alot at all. Easy to mount anywhere and look real nice behind the grille. I recently installed a Sho Me kit in a ford that was a nice kit, but it didn't seem as nice as the whelen. Seemed to be built cheaper

My opinion on them is don't waste your time or money. The time it cuts off your response is minimal and very rarley will it help, and like mentioned they make you stand out more. You cut off, or speed by the wrong person and you could be in more trouble than its worth. Also, depends how your cops are, its hit or miss around me, but I know alot of them don't like lights and will harass you. I've had them in trucks and used them, however don't think I've turned them on in years....maybe I'm just getting old:confused:

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
Firefighter Accused Of Speeding In Summer Motorcycle Fatality
Police Say Jonathan Hogue Was Not Headed To Emergency Before Collision

POSTED: 10:47 am EDT July 1, 2010
UPDATED: 8:40 pm EDT July 1, 2010
MIDLAND, Pa. -- State police in Beaver said a volunteer firefighter was driving too fast and passing cars with his emergency lights flashing when his personal car hit a motorcycle head-on, killing the bike's driver.

Now, 20-year-old Jonathan Hogue has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the wreck that happened Aug. 9.

"The question in this case is whether or not there was an emergency. My understanding is that there was no fire call," District Attorney Anthony Berosh said.

Bryan Loeffler, 23, of Canonsburg, was killed in the crash on Route 30 in Hanover Township. Police said Hogue, of Midland, was driving west in the eastbound lane.

Channel 4 Action News' Sheldon Ingram reported that Berosh said there's no reason why Hogue should have been speeding while on the wrong side of the road -- not even in the case of an emergency.

"The blue lights do not exclude you from the obligations of the safety of the general public, and it does not allow you to violate any rules of the motor vehicle code," Berosh said.

Lights are used to let other drivers on the road know that the firefighters are responding to a call, but they cannot be used to disregard common traffic laws like speeding, stop signs or red lights, Berosh said.

"I'm going to put it this way -- the driver of the blue light cannot violate any rule of the road by the mere fact that he has the lights on," Berosh said.

Hogue is scheduled for a preliminary hearing in three weeks at the county courthouse.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
That sucks. I always wonder why so many people have such a hard time seeing motorcycles. When I ride my motorcycle, I just assume no one can see me, and have an exit strategy for every situation I am in, including driving straight down the highway. It's saved my life a couple times.

I wonder why the guy was running his lights when there wasn't a call? Sad situation no matter what.