Variations between lmm model years.

Chad W

Apr 20, 2013
Ft worth, TX
Can any of you guys confirm the differences between one LMM and another? Iirc GM did not offer a manual trans after 07. Last night while tearing down a pulled motor from an 09 I noticed the rear plate was quite a bit wider than the one in my 08. Some other things was oil dip stick tube ran down driver side compared to my 08 on the pass. side. A couple other small things but as far as rear plate was this possibly on a 2wd model? Any help is appreciated.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Maybe you have an engine from a Kodiak? 2006 was the last year GM offered a manual transmission behind the Duramax in the pickup.

Chad W

Apr 20, 2013
Ft worth, TX
What about upper oil pan? I guess I need to go look at a kodiak to see. Where could I find a spec sheet from gm and compare the differences?

Chad W

Apr 20, 2013
Ft worth, TX
Yeah I'll post a pic in the morning. Another thing worth mentioning is the exhaust manifolds, up pipes and down pipe. Down pipe isn't pinched or crimped in like other lmm's. It's 4" in diameter all the way. Up pipes don't 90 into exhaust manifolds, it's the other way around. Much smoother and longer bends too. They also don't neck down to allow for can clearance. There is enough room anyway I don't know why gm pinched them down. I just replaced #7 piston and really lucked out because I could access rod bolts through the cutout for lower oil pan. This one has a void for the lower pan that runs the entire length of it almost. Would be great if someone had to drop out any other pistons before #7. Wouldn't have to take out or replace fly wheel bolts rear cover,main,seals,etc.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yeah I'll post a pic in the morning. Another thing worth mentioning is the exhaust manifolds, up pipes and down pipe. Down pipe isn't pinched or crimped in like other lmm's. It's 4" in diameter all the way. Up pipes don't 90 into exhaust manifolds, it's the other way around. Much smoother and longer bends too. They also don't neck down to allow for can clearance. There is enough room anyway I don't know why gm pinched them down. I just replaced #7 piston and really lucked out because I could access rod bolts through the cutout for lower oil pan. This one has a void for the lower pan that runs the entire length of it almost. Would be great if someone had to drop out any other pistons before #7. Wouldn't have to take out or replace fly wheel bolts rear cover,main,seals,etc.

Sure sounds like a medium duty engine. They used a different oil pan from the trucks.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yep, definately an MD and I believe that is an SAE#3 bellhousing adapter. the CUMMINS guys want the ALLISON bellhousing from these trucks because they can buy an SAE #3 block adapter and bolt an ALLISON out of a 2500/3500 up that way and use a regular NP style transfer case.

Chad W

Apr 20, 2013
Ft worth, TX
Thanks for the info very helpful. But why would they want to put am allison behinds a cummins isn't the 68RFE better at handling the torque?