Two Tone or not Two Tone? That is the question

Two tone interior or not?

• Tom, you have lost your damn mind. Dont do it you idiot!

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Wow, why didnt I think of that? Do it!

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
5 years of abuse has rendered my driver's seat ripped and cracked and the passenger seat isnt far behind. My kids years ago stained the rear seat with markers, and my carpet is an embarrassing salt encrusted dirty joke. Cleaning will not help.
Finally saved up enough to recover the seats and replace the carpet and had the wild idea to use black carpet and dark pewter seat covers (cloth or leather) in my light-grey interior to make it "two tone". Arent the Denali's and Escalades like that?

Whattya think? Completely stupid, inane, moronic idea or might it actually look good?

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I was in a rolls Royce phantom.... ThA chit had some nice carpet, so comfy and plush and supple and deep and soft and.... I could sleep on it... The leather was so soft and......

Replace your chit! You won't regret it! Our seats ain't got that much leather anyways:mad:

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
You can always paint the plastic surfaces. Do a good job and it won't look like a ricer. If you feel really froggy, you can strip the grey off the dash to reveal the black that's under it.

I'm thinking about doing the same. Not anytime soon. But after I chase down my rail pressure issue I am going to focus a little more on interior comfort and aesthetics.

Maricopaagent

Glamis Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Arizona
Black carpet will always look dirty.. It would look killer for a short time..

any speck of dirt, lint, or whatever will soon have you pulling your hair out..

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Tom, care to share what seat covers you are going with? I need some in my 03, leather is all cracked, torn and jacked up.

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
My original seats were dark pewter and my carpet and every thing is the same. I went with light pewter seats and put matching color floor mats and it looks killer. Do it:thumb:

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
picture.php

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Often 'less is more'. I'd go stock colors with leather seats, back of the seats embroidered in blue "TheBac". Just a small logo, not too bold. Or maybe "IHI" would be more suitable?

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
I did black carpet and headliner on an old truck of mine. Rest of the interior was red (77 chevy). Looked badass, but as said the black carpet looked like crap after two weeks and was never the same again. No amount of shampooing could get it back to nice dark black again.

I'd do something like a different color center insert on the seats. That's good looking and not as prone to getting dirty.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Has anyone experimented with dying their interior? The floor and headliner. Not the seats.
I remember my mom dying the carpet in our house after i spilled bleach all over it when I was growing up.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Tom, care to share what seat covers you are going with? I need some in my 03, leather is all cracked, torn and jacked up.

Sorry to get back so late with this, Josh. I bought Katzkins.
I had been talking to Kyle about a set, but in my roaming around Ebay, I ended up finding a new, never installed, crewcab set complete for $350 in my interior color that I just couldnt pass up.
The only caveat though was that I will lose my front seat armrests, as this set is actually for a 40/20/40 front seat. I dont really care, though, as I havent used those armrests in forever. My wife has foam that I can glue into the cavities to form up the bolsters. There isnt any pressure on that inside part of the seat anyway. If that doesnt work, then I already found the part numbers for the proper seat foams and I'll go buy those. Id still be money well ahead.
I got the rear seat done last night. My son Kole helped me do the installation. Boy, do my hands hurt today. Thats a lot of stretching and pulling.
I have to admit that the only tougher job Ive done on a Dmax is the FPR. But dang, its worth it. Man, are these covers nice. Exact fit and style and use all the same fastening types as OEM. The leather and vinyl used is far more supple than the OEM. The color is "Smoke", which is Katzkin's replacement color for my medium grey interior.

I also am going to go through a company called StockInteriors for my carpet. They have been very helpful, and sent me little color samples in the mail last week. I am probably going to use a slightly darker grey for the carpet.

Last edited: