Two is one, one is none. Lurking for a few years with tuning questions.

Shane H

Jul 23, 2024
Alberta, Canada
I own two GMT800s for the simple fact that if one dies in the future I'll have a bunch of decent parts to toss on the survivor.
I use my trucks for towing, and I was able to make a bunch of informed decisions on my transmission build through this forum and others experiences. Mainly converter selection and my realistic goals. Unfortunately my 5 speed does have the Transgo C2 mods but if it ever lets go (again) I'll be putting a complete 6 speed rotating assembly in that 5 speed case. I know its limitations and drive it accordingly.

I'll be posting questions about tuning the thing. Moderate acceleration seem fine but for some reason it leaves a puff of black smoke leaving stop signs. Might be because of the 3388 socal cam? Truck does not have oval bowls and I don't think it should be doing this. I have high expectations for a clean running stock valley turbo/tight converter truck and will change tuners if I have too.
Also will be looking at trans tuning options.
My Black LBZ in my sig has Mark Broviak tuning and the thing is wicked for what it is.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
A puff of black smoke coming from a stop is 100% tuning. Odds are the MAF limits at low RPM are a little aggressive. You can ask your tuner to dial them down a little, which will clean it up no matter how hard you stand on it, or you can have your tuner adjust the throttle/desired torque tables to request less fuel when taking off at mid/light throttle. That would clean it up driving normally but still puff a bit if you floor it, getting you on the turbo a smidge quicker.

I tend to prefer the latter, giving me the option to get off the line when I need it, but not annoy people when driving normally. But if you are going for 100% clean then the right answer is to adjust the MAF limits and give up a tiny bit of off-the-line acceleration.