Turbo upgrade

CountryBumbkin

Sep 29, 2013
Southeastern,MT
Ok i have a 07.5 lmm with 5inch turbo back exhaust, egr delete, efi live tuning, and banks intake. Currently iam having troubles with the was it runs when you get on it it goes to 20lbs boost then bam drops instantly to 13ish and holds there with a bad hiss and lots of smoke and high egts until you let off the throttle for a sec or 2 then everything is fine until you get to 20lbs and it does it again iam thinking turbo positioning sensor correct me if iam wrong. OK now after all that rambling on with the price of a new turbo positioning sensor about 500 bucks i figured i would get a fixed vane turbo and do away with variable. Now here is where iam needing help on 2 things first off which turbo should i get i want atleast stock spool characteristics ( prefer faster spool) and more boost, secondly iam looking at the PPE stage 4 trans kit anything wrong with it or is there something better?

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Any codes? Whose tuning? Just because fixed vein turbos can be had for $5-750, doesn't mean that's all it will cost you. Look into an s400 install kit.. $2200+.. As for trans building goes, find a good builder near you as ask what they use. Most of the top guys only use suncoast and for a reason. Nothing wrong with ppe but why pay similar money for a product that suncoast used years ago? Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
There is a possibility you could have veins caked with gunk not allowing them to cycle correctly, it happens more then you think.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
X2 on codes & who's tuning?

Being you installed a new sensor I would data log it and send it to your tuner to see if theres a problem.

It's also tough to beat the quick spool of a VVT; I know the ones I build spool quick as well as Danville's turbos.

Here's a link from duramaxforum.com that has a list of transmission builders.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/t...ion-shops-near-you-we-need-your-help-add.html
I'd look through there to see who's close; I would make sure they know what they're doing though.

I forgot about that one Sean, thanks!!!

Yellowchevy

Last edited:

CountryBumbkin

Sep 29, 2013
Southeastern,MT
Iam not sure who did the tunes i didnt have the facilities to do any thing to it so i had a guy do it for me he got the tunes from ATS iam not sure if they are theirs or if they got them from someone else. As to transbuilders there really is noone around except for an ATS. Although i did just find a guy in Kalispell might give him a call. No codes that i have been able to locate. Does a VVT spool faster than a correctly sized fixed? I wasnt really that impressed with the stock and it only ever made 29pounds would like a bit more than that.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
If you don't feel good about any local trans guys you're better off buying a crate trans from someone who knows what they're doing

1QUICKZ28

Feb 7, 2014
I have a VVT stage 2 turbo with the Batmo wheel from Danville Performance on my 2007.5. Spools quick and pulls excellent. Haven't built my tranny yet so only running in 2nd setting on EFI live tune, hitting 32 lbs boost. I also installed Rick's manifolds and up pipes at the same time. EGT stay in check. Can't wait to build the tranny so I can really crank it up. Turbo comes with new sensor. Cost around $1800. I agree on the hiss being a leak somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CountryBumbkin

Sep 29, 2013
Southeastern,MT
It is possible that it is a leak but iam confused as to why it would not hiss at 19lbs but after i hit 20 it drops to 13 and hisses until i fully let off the throttle even low boost numbers still hiss that is why iam thinking it is something with the turbo but i will check it out.

CountryBumbkin

Sep 29, 2013
Southeastern,MT
Now all this looking has gotten me to looking at twin kits haha. Anyone have any experience with Wehrli custom twin kit it uses a s466 and stock turbo for that kit i would just change the damn sensor if that is infact my problem if its the turbo hell id change that haha. My cousin has a twin turboed cummins and its sure fun so i wouldnt be apposed to going that route if it seems feasible. I dont want to upgrade fuel.:woott:

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Most likely your y bridge is leaking. I had this happen now on 2 different lmms. I have another welded y bridge here if you need it to fix your problem.