LBZ: Turbo swap

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
check out a thread I started a while back called "just three bolts"
cuz there's only three 17mm bolts that hold the turbo down.

it's not all that difficult of a job, I've done it several times now. the first time it took me about 3-4 hours to remove and about 3 to install again. this last time it took me a little over an hour to remove and I'm still waiting to afford the replacement, so I haven't bolted another one in yet
:thumb:

there's several other threads on the forum about removing a VGT turbo, with the info here you shouldn't have a problem tackling this task

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
check out a thread I started a while back called "just three bolts"
cuz there's only three 17mm bolts that hold the turbo down.

it's not all that difficult of a job, I've done it several times now. the first time it took me about 3-4 hours to remove and about 3 to install again. this last time it took me a little over an hour to remove and I'm still waiting to afford the replacement, so I haven't bolted another one in yet
:thumb:

there's several other threads on the forum about removing a VGT turbo, with the info here you shouldn't have a problem tackling this task

Was that with the engine in or out of the truck. Because it took me 6-7 hrs to get mine out in the truck. And about that long to get it back in. I'm sure I could do it faster now, but doing it for the first time is a PAIN to get all the uppipe bolts out.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Plan on 3 days if your screen name starts with Paint.

butch2000

Jun 19, 2012
another more helpfull forum
The reason I was going to change the turbo is, I am having the recurring code P2564 , turbo boost control position , the vanes are sticking ? and it has a lot of miles on it ? unless someone has a fix for this ? I was going to replace the turbo .

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
The reason I was going to change the turbo is, I am having the recurring code P2564 , turbo boost control position , the vanes are sticking ? and it has a lot of miles on it ? unless someone has a fix for this ? I was going to replace the turbo .

Chances are it's leaking a small amount of oil on the exhaust side and coking up the vanes...