LMM: Turbo housing split

trailrider11

Sep 11, 2014
Texas
Hey guys, I have a '08 2500 that the turbo housing has separated at the clamp.
I have searched here but cannot find any info on this. Is this common, and can I repair it while still on the truck? It is about 1/4 inch between the two housings. Is there a special trick to get it back together? Also is there a gasket between the two housings? Thanks for any help.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I've seen it before. I wasn't able to work them back together and seat it still on the truck. Had to pull it and customer elected to just replace it because it had 400k miles on it. In theory if you could find a new clamp you could put it back together, but you'll likely have to pull it out to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
When reassembling,the exhaust housing needs clocked just right so a dowel inserts correctly. If its separated that much, sounds like it may be near impossible to do in the truck. Worth a try though

trailrider11

Sep 11, 2014
Texas
Hey, thanks for the replys..... I am down to where I can see the compressor wheel, and it will not turn, so something is screwed for sure. Vanes will not move either...so it gotta come out.

Do you have to pull the trans and exhaust to get it out?

I don't tow anymore so is there a way to drive it normal without a turbo?
It is an '08 with 68k and I don't think I can install another one!

Thanks for any advice!

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
I have a stock turbo off of my 09 with 61k on it if you're interested in buying it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I think making it work without a turbo would cost a ton more then a new turbo.

What do you mean by you can't install another one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

trailrider11

Sep 11, 2014
Texas
I am 72!:D Old hot rodder from the 60's... 426 max wedge days. Another couple of years and I won't be able to wrench anymore. Sold the RV after the wife passed, so don't tow anything these days.

trailrider11

Sep 11, 2014
Texas
Well the V band clamp broke in half, and let the housing seperate. :mad: There seems to be no damage to the turbo. Its on my workbench now.
Do we know why that happens at 68k miles?
Is there a better clamp and where do I get one? Thanks for any help!!!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well the V band clamp broke in half, and let the housing seperate. :mad: There seems to be no damage to the turbo. Its on my workbench now.
Do we know why that happens at 68k miles?
Is there a better clamp and where do I get one? Thanks for any help!!!

you just need another stock one. that clamp breaking is pretty rare

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I have a LLY truck in the shop right now that did the exact same thing. It's getting a remanufactured turbo as the turbine wheel took some damage when it separated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk