Transmission leak

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't drive my truck very often anymore. I parked it for about 1 1/2 weeks and noticed about a pint of ATF leaked out. It looks like it came from between the transfer case and where the transmission meet. I checked the fluid before starting it and it looked over filled. After starting it I haven't noticed any leaking since. But the truck hasn't sat for longer than a day since then. I was wondering if it is a possible converter drain back issue but I don't know where the fluid would be coming from. Any ideas?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Fluid check on a cold trans will always show overfilled. Not a very accurate way to check it. Your leak could be the adapter gasket, harness connector at back of trans. Pictures would help.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Hi Mike,
I just cleaned up all the residual oil to see if its leaking at all, so theirs not much to see now. I was wrong though its not coming from the tcase area, but from the I'm guessing adapter gasket? It almost looked like it was the pan gasket at the rear of the trans , but the bolts where tight and it was wet above the pan gasket. I can't see for sure where it might be coming from with the cross member in the way. It didn't look like it was coming from the harness connector more dead center of the trans, but I didn't get a really good look when it was wet since I was on my way out the door and needed my truck.

My builders "secretary" wants me to bring it in, but its kind of a pain to do with my work schedule and them being so far. And I don't really want to wast his and my time if he can't tell me anything.

Does that help narrow it down any?

I did fine putting in a Transgo Jr and pump rub kit in my tcase, but I'm not sure how crazy I'm about tearing into the drive train more then that myself. Its been just over a year and 7K miles since I had the trans built.

Attachments

• WP_20140527_20_40_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140527_20_40_14_Pro.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 114
  • WP_20140527_20_40_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140527_20_40_58_Pro.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 111

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Hey man I have the EXACT problem on my 02.

I noticed a drip, I did not realize mine was so bad. It pours when I fill it with fluid.

I thought it was pump rub but the fluid is all above the trans brace? And the tranny was super low

Does anyone have any hints or diagrams of any seals that can leak on that area?

I ordered a merchant lump rub kit because I need to install one. And it comes with a gasket that goes somewhere between trans and tranfer case. Kinda crossing my fingers hoping It's that seal that's leaking...but not sure how it all fits together.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Hey man I have the EXACT problem on my 02.

I noticed a drip, I did not realize mine was so bad. It pours when I fill it with fluid.

I thought it was pump rub but the fluid is all above the trans brace? And the tranny was super low

Does anyone have any hints or diagrams of any seals that can leak on that area?

I ordered a merchant lump rub kit because I need to install one. And it comes with a gasket that goes somewhere between trans and tranfer case. Kinda crossing my fingers hoping It's that seal that's leaking...but not sure how it all fits together.

I don't think you read his post right. His issues aren't the same as yours. The gasket your talking about goes where the transmission and transfer case bolt together. Install the pump rub kit and look around while you have it apart.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
I don't think you read his post right. His issues aren't the same as yours. The gasket your talking about goes where the transmission and transfer case bolt together. Install the pump rub kit and look around while you have it apart.

His post literally says where the transfer case and transmssion leak. Same as mine, may be a totally different solution but we are both leaking fluid

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
OP are you throwing any codes?
(I usually always have a p0706 and haven't found a solution.)

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
OP

Adapter housing gasket is a possibility. Even the pan gasket could be, even with tight bolts some still leak for whatever reason. If the trans is overful then you could be seeing something from the breather but that usually runs down the side. The only other thing back there to cause your leak would be a cracked rear housing. You don't want that.

I would clean everything good like you did and see if it will leave a puddle for you. Then dont move the truck and find where it is . It seems like the rear of the pan is a "catch all" for anything leaking further forward like a spin on or front seal when driving.

Cold fluid check isn't very accurate, get the gauge up then run it through gears and check hot running.

I would try to isolate it before driving to your builder to save you both the hassle if possible. If its the rear housing gasket and you aren't comfortable then you'll be making a trip there. They are not bad to replace but you do not want to do one in the truck really, best to remove it so gravity is on your side.

His post literally says where the transfer case and transmssion leak. Same as mine, may be a totally different solution but we are both leaking fluid

originally yes, but his issue is further forward. Sounds like yours could be the gasket between t case and trans. Pump rub kit comes with a new one. Its a piece of cake. Drain case first, then Support trans with a jack. Then remove crossmember. 18mm to remove the bolts and nuts holding it to frame, 15mm if you have to remove an L bracket and 15mm for trans mount. Remove rear driveshaft with 11mm. Remove front driveshaft with 11mm. You will need prybar to hold front driveshaft unless using impact. You will also need to cut the oetiker clamp on the boot for the front shaft so it will slide out. Then unplug and unclip the wiring harness from the case as well as remove the vent hose. Undo shifting linkage from t case, then from trans to get it out of your way. Next you will need to lower the trans down some so you can reach the top nut holding the t case in. There are 6 nuts total, you will need a 15mm to remove them. An S or half moon ratcheting wrench makes life easy. Next put your drain pan under the joint to transmission, then lift up rear of t case to break seal and drain fluid. Now jack trans back up some if you haven't already. You remove case down through drivers side of truck, rotate the front shaft portion down a bit and let the trans flange nose dive and out of the truck it will come. The rest merchant has good instructions for.

If yours is actually spraying everywhere it could be a cracked rear housing but those are usually further forward than you describe.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
It is DEFINETLY leaking from the upper side of the driver side of the tranny. Pouring out. Good stream of fluid.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
They are right I miss spoke on my first post the fluid is coming from the tail housing adapter gasket or pan gasket. Haven't nailed it down yet. So I cleaned it up really well today and hopeful I can leave it site long enough to catch where its is leaking for sure. Chris at relentless diesel is going to help me out and do the adapter gasket if thats it even out its been passed the year warranty.

I'm just happy its not a crack case. I watch the U joints pretty close, but it makes me nervous.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
They are right I miss spoke on my first post the fluid is coming from the tail housing adapter gasket or pan gasket. Haven't nailed it down yet. So I cleaned it up really well today and hopeful I can leave it site long enough to catch where its is leaking for sure. Chris at relentless diesel is going to help me out and do the adapter gasket if thats it even out its been passed the year warranty.

I'm just happy its not a crack case. I watch the U joints pretty close, but it makes me nervous.

Be wary, that's what mine is. :(

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Okay so I found the crack in the extension housing

What seals should I replace since I am pulling the tranny off? And any other maitenece u should do while it's off?

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Okay so I found the crack in the extension housing

What seals should I replace since I am pulling the tranny off? And any other maitenece u should do while it's off?

Nothing you have to do. If you know your way around it you could tear it apart to look at the clutch packs, but if you just want to replace the extension housing you just need an extension housing gasket and transfer case gasket.

The only special tool you will need is a 4 prong socket for the output shaft nut.
Also the large ball bearing for the output is pressed in. Not super tight, but its not going to fall out either. Just swapped one last night for a guy.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Nothing you have to do. If you know your way around it you could tear it apart to look at the clutch packs, but if you just want to replace the extension housing you just need an extension housing gasket and transfer case gasket.

The only special tool you will need is a 4 prong socket for the output shaft nut.
Also the large ball bearing for the output is pressed in. Not super tight, but its not going to fall out either. Just swapped one last night for a guy.

Heck yeah
Is that socket rentable? Or where is the cheapest place to get one?

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Heck yeah
Is that socket rentable? Or where is the cheapest place to get one?

A 4X4 front hub socket will work fine with a slight grinding on the prongs. I did this back in the early days. Won't hurt the socket at all.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Thanks yall, I have full rails of mac and matco impacts up to 36mm (I got a smoking deal)

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Update in my side, any update for the op?

There was a hairline pressure crack on the upper driver side of the housing.

I have EVERYTHING done except bellhousing bolts and renting a tranny jack tomorrow.

But I also broke the starter and lost a torque converter bolt into the bell housing, I'm guessing it will be there when I pull back the trans.