Transfer case

JerryL

Feb 9, 2010
Emporia, Ks.
Transfer case oil change on a 02 Duramax 6.6 4WD:
Two questions to those of you who've already been down this road: :)
1. What's the best oil?
2. How much?

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
1) GM recommends (and I run) Dexron III Oil (GM P/N 12346143) or equivalent Dex 3 from your preferred name brand
2) 2.0 quarts

Torque the drain plug and fill plug to 15 ft-lbs. If you strip the head of either of the plugs, replace them with aluminum plugs (like they are from the factory) to prevent galvanic action from eroding the magnesium case and/or the plugs. It's a pretty simple procedure. I find it is easier to pump (hand pump or whatever you have access to) the fluid into the transfer case than it is to try to fit a bottle up there to fill it. Dex 3 is not very viscous and is easy to pump.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Or, as has been recommended in the past by a few trans builders, 5w-30 synthetic engine oil and overfill by a 1/2 liter or so. Better cooling and lubrication than dex.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Also I'm pretty sure the cases are cast aluminum not magnesium.

holyshitbatman

holyshitbatman
Mar 17, 2015
Albuquerque new mexico
The problem with dex is that it boils off and so it gradually will run lower or at least thats what i read and dont be intimidated by the tcase at all its actually really simple to disassemble and assemble.i used dex after i did the pump rub kit but am probably going to switch.u cant over fill with dex cause it foams.alsp i had read it was 3 quarts if u switch idk if thats right not.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Or, as has been recommended in the past by a few trans builders, 5w-30 synthetic engine oil and overfill by a 1/2 liter or so. Better cooling and lubrication than dex.

Mike says going with 5w-30 syn is best for those that do not get under their truck and check fluid level regularly or change it as they should. Dex 3 is still best to put in, just need to watch it if you have evap issues or run lots of miles

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Mike says going with 5w-30 syn is best for those that do not get under their truck and check fluid level regularly or change it as they should. Dex 3 is still best to put in, just need to watch it if you have evap issues or run lots of miles
I believe I remember him saying it was all around better for everyone but that was 7 years ago or so now so maybe not.

JerryL

Feb 9, 2010
Emporia, Ks.
Transfer Case Oil Change

I need to apologize to all those who were good enough to answer my questions on what kind of oil and how much for my '02 Duramax Silverado. I was in a hurry and had to run as soon as I got my answer. I'm sorry for not getting back to y'all and saying thanks.
THANK you ALL!!!