Trans tune vs shift kit

5akman

I've got 16yrs of ownership between two LB7's and recently purchased a stock '06 LBZ with 140k. I just installed a Dmaxtuner.com 5 tune package and am now looking at some transmission upgrades. Use is a highway commuter for one more yr until I retire and then it will be my grocery getter and tow mule for our 8000lb travel trailer which we envision using 3-5 months a year.

Not being familiar with transmission tuning I opted out of purchasing that when I bought the EFI tuner. I have ordered the Trans Go Jr kit with Mike L springs from Inglewood Transmission. My question is, how is a trans tune different than what the shift kit would provide? Is there any benefit to using them together? How about a TC, it appears that the LML TC is an option. I do feel what I think is a bit of TC shudder at some speeds. I'm not thinking that I need a rebuild but just want to make the transmission as bullet proof as possible for towing (with heavy tow tune/engine braking).

Thanks!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I may be wrong, but for your transmission, a tune is for shift points and converter lockup. This can help keep the engine in its power band. Reduce stress by using less torque and more RPM

The transgo jr and springs are to help the transmission hold a tiny bit more power. It might help it live a little longer before it needs a full rebuild

Both are good. I tune my transmissions to fit my driving style. And to some degree reducing smoke

Reactions: Bdsankey and 5akman

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
-TransgoJr VS Trans Tune-
TransgoJr with Mike's springs is a SOLID choice on 06-10 trucks. It improves shift quality and a slight bump in holding capacity but nothing to be super excited about on that front.

Personally I think trans tuning on 01-10 is essentially useless for most customers. On 01-10 trucks there is nothing that can be done with a TCM tune to help them hold power, only hydraulic modifications to the stator/valvebody can do that as well as using more/better clutches etc. They are not like the 2011+ trucks where pressure is electronically controlled.

The only time I do trans tuning on 01-10 trucks is when they are running big tires, big turbos, or sled pulling/racing that can benefit from a 2nd or 3rd gear start tune.

-Shudder-
If you have shudder, I personally would recommend an overhaul. I say this because if you put a better converter in the truck you are simply going to move the failure further into the trans and it's usually not long after a converter upgrade that I see guys needing overhauls because they think "oh it's fixed! I'll dog on it".

While you may not need a conventional 750hp build, you could do something similar to my OEM+ overhaul which uses an OEM style material with increased clutch counts, hydraulic modifications, and a better converter (Goerend C stock stator billet triple disk). I am not saying that to say "oh hey, come buy one or a kit from me!", I am using it as an example for guys who are in your similar situation where they need a little more holding capacity but do not need a 750hp level unit.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Like these guys said, Transgo Jr helps but not tremendously. I would go ahead and install it. If you're wanting it to last, keep the power turned down. Despite what all the monkeys on bookface say, a stock transmission will not hold 500hp

Reactions: Bdsankey and 5akman