Trans to T-Case Leak

geareater

Jul 17, 2014
Working on pulling my transfer case for a rebuild and found signs of a leak and I cant find the source. I hope I'm not posting out of place but the fact it seems to be coming from the rear of the transmission to the apparatus that holds the trans and the tcase together directed me to this section of the forum. I searched for about an hour and couldn't find any similar issues posted here. I have some pictures to include.

Trans was rebuilt about a year ago by Josh H outside Dallas. He did a full rebuild, pump rub kit and a tcase brace. Thats the only modifications done to it. Hasn't had any issues until about a week or so ago when I felt a wobble on the highway and found I had play in the rear yoke coming out of the tcase (which is why I'm working on rebuilding it). I assumed that was my only issue until I removed the crossmember and found this mess. I also have a leak coming from the front output shaft going to the front differential, but I don't think its far enough forward to throw fluid all the way over there. Also, cant get my front driveshaft to come out... fun...

I figured it would be easy to pull that piece off and put a new gasket on it and call it a day, but somewhere in the past I read that you pull everything inside the Allison out of balance? Just looking for some advice. Id rather not be leaking trans or tcase fluid all over the place. Also, here's all the new Merchant Auto goodies. I bought just the back half of the housing before I knew my front end had a leak. Should I have gotten both?

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
If the rear extension of the trans housing is leaking, you HAVE to pull the trans out and stand it on the bell housing to replace the gasket, if you don't you're going to have a bad time, there's some stuff that falls down when laying horizontal,

also I had a similar issue a while ago with a leak in there, I was told those extension housing gaskets rarely leak, but that it can have a crack in it

Which end is giving you problems getting the front drive line out? For me anyways, its always the Tcase end, that rubber boot has a band on it and has a death lock on it, usually use a pry bar to slide it forward where the boot normally sits

geareater

Jul 17, 2014
Ok thanks for confirming, I had hoped that was the correct assumption. If i got it out and stood up, is it something that I would be capable of performing without getting everything out of whack? Already had it built once don’t need to do it a second time.

I was having problems taking it out from the tcase end, but I ended up using a come along and pulled it off from the front crossmember. Just took a little tug and it slid out, I’ll be greasing it for sure.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Ok thanks for confirming, I had hoped that was the correct assumption. If i got it out and stood up, is it something that I would be capable of performing without getting everything out of whack? Already had it built once don’t need to do it a second time.

I was having problems taking it out from the tcase end, but I ended up using a come along and pulled it off from the front crossmember. Just took a little tug and it slid out, I’ll be greasing it for sure.

I worry about people like you.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
I have no idea if you are capable of doing it, from what I've heard its not bad, but I do not know 1st hand.

before you get crazy assuming its that gasket, look alot closer at everything, here's a link to my issue

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76646

i had a leak in that area, i thought for sure it was that gasket, turned out to be the pan gasket. In my thread Mike L said he had never seen one leak, that its usually a linkage seal, harness leak, pan gasket sometimes overflow also.

he was right it was the pan gasket, glad i didn't pull the trans. so take a better look and make sure before you get into something you wish you hadn't.

IMO on stuff like this, if im that unsure, I'd rather pay someone a couple hundred to fix it vs tearing my trans up and racking up a real bill

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You need to post pictures using something other then photobucket. I too had a leak that looked really bad but turned out to be the pan gasket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk