tranny question

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
It should, I had mine on 225 with a ppe standard when I first got started with the diesel stuff and mine did fine but after about 10000 miles I bought a shift kit just to be sure it would be ok but I guess it depends if you have a 5 speed or a 6 speed alli the 6 speed are a little tougher

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Well before I sound like a retard.. All I know is the 5 speed converter has a higher lockup percentage.... Thats what I'm basing my statement from.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Well before I sound like a retard.. All I know is the 5 speed converter has a higher lockup percentage.... Thats what I'm basing my statement from.

not harassing you.... :hug: just saying what i experienced.

converter was the first thing to go on my last truck, not sure why. Looked like i had an ATS converter when you saw it through the inspection plate... nice metallic hue of purple. Guess it saw a little heat.... :eek:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I'm pretty sure the 6 speed alli is more durable than the 5 speed they seem to have held bigger power than the 5 speeds did. I know nothing about the converteres

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm pretty sure the 6 speed alli is more durable than the 5 speed they seem to have held bigger power than the 5 speeds did. I know nothing about the converteres

The 6 speed converter has a weaker sprag and will not hold the power of the 5 speed converter even built with the triple lock.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
will the stock allison hold on ppe level 4 160 hp

i hate to say it but this is kind of an open ended question. Drivin lightly, yes but you start runnin your truck hard racin people and all bets are off. Its all on your drivin style but either way you will be shortening the life of your trans much quicker than the 90 hp tune

the tranny will hold it to 4th gear (also depends on how many miles of abuse its had) but it wont last as long. Your clutches will wear faster and eventually you will need to do a built trans. how much that right foot pushes on that pedal is in direct propostion of how quick you will need a trans.